Folks looking for a very different way to get between cities in places like France, Germany, etc can now use BlaBlaCar, which for several years now has matched folks driving intermediate distances - of up to about 200 miles the article above says, to get a ride - just paying for part of the travel costs - profits by the driver are not allowed. BlaBlaCar takes 12% up front of the charges - decided on before booking.
And for those who like to chat BlaBla, named after the penchant of some on long rides to just chit chat bout nothing - you can ask for a Bla ride - meaning you do not want to talk at all but be left in silence or you can be a BlaBla - some talk or you can call yourself a BlaBlaBla - incessant chatter - so the driver beware.
Passengers are covered by the driver's insurance policy the article says.
About 1,000,000 people are now said to use BlalaCar in Europe each month.
The company, started in 2006 in Paris, just got $100 million ifrom venture capitalists to extend its profile and services.
The car travel is often cheaper than the train and for a foreign tourist infinitely more interesting perhaps - and luggage is no problem - door to door service.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2 week May trip with kids
- 2 Paris November 2017
- 3 Self Drive UK tour
- 4 London: Stunning New American Embassy
- 5 Greece -- Alternative to Athens
- 6 Two week Europe itenirary help
- 7 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 8 Netherlands, Brussels and possibly Luxembourg
- 9 Airport Transfer
- 10 Help with Country House Hotel Christmas 2018
- 11 Rail vs. Plane
- 12 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 13 5 nights in Spain, need help!
- 14 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 15 hotel reservations in Switzerland in June?
- 16 Where to See Flamenco
- 17 US dairy vs European Dairy
- 18 Arezzo - how much time?
- 19 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 20 Room in Boppard with a Rhine view
- 21 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 22 New Years in France
- 23 Easter Week in Italy
- 24 8 day flexi Swiss pass
- 25 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do