Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bit of Quandry, please help with an itenarary 4 nights LONDON????

Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, gonna be in new to london and we are booked for an 8 hour historic and Modern london tour. Now the tour covers alot but I believe I can do most of the sites myself, yet my wife is concerned that she wants to know the background history etc.of the sites and so on. I wann drop the tour so we can do it myself.
Can someobody help me put a 3 day tour together places we wanna see and do for sure are: Westminster abbey, Buckingham outside with changing of guards, the tower, British museum, St. pauls, catch a play, photo ops outside big ben and parliament, tower bridge.

Thanks for the help and any advice, also let me know what times would be best for some of thses sites and any advice on tix etc. Thank you greatly appreciate it
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 11:41 AM

I suggest you type "three days in London" into Google; you will get lots of touring plans.

Many guidebooks offer a very detailed day-by-day itinerary. Just browse your local bookstore and find one you like. Some have more history than others.
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 11:42 AM

Suggest you start by reading a couple of good guidebooks on London which will have all this info in it.

For the Tower you need to reserve the Beefeater Tour.
And for Westminster Abbey you should reserve the Verger's Tour.

If you know nothing about British history - you really should red the Michelin green guide so you know what you're looking at.

(I am generally against guided tours - but then I studied european history and know more than the tour guides tell you. And for me the research is at least half the fun of the trip. If you have no background - get busy reading.)
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 12:03 PM

I know this is the Fodors website, but the Lonely Planet guides have 3 day tour plans for all the major European cities. And there are several posts in this forum on 3-5 day trips other people are making, with excellent advice. Why not have a look at them and see if they answer any of your questions?
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 01:53 PM

You don't reserve a beefeater tour at the tower as far as I am aware...they are included in the ticket price and run from the front gate every 15 mins or so...
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 03:36 PM

I don't think you need the eight hour tour and eight hours of anything sounds exhausting. Do as suggested, taking the Verger's tour at Westminster Abbey and the Yeoman Warder's tour at the Tower of London . Now peruse the London Walks website for great inexpensive walks that are informative and not too long at nearly all other sites you want to see.
Next, Google the British Museum because they have scheduled free tours. If you want to be your own guide, start reading and googling.
The two for one offers are good. Search for info on using them here and on tripadvisor.com
If you like, you can click on my screen name to see a recent report on dining in London .