Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

BISTROS:L'Ami Louis, Maison Lyonaise, Regalade....?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 06:01 AM
joe

Arriving the 13th and staying in the 3rd Arr., Place de la Republique, need a Bistro review. Heard L'Ami Louis is more bluff than its old self. It'll be cold and want a real food find. Any discoveries?

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 06:09 AM
katie

When we went to Paris a few years ago, friends who went there often, called and made reservations for us at L'Ami Louis. That was the only way we could get a reservation at that time. So my bet is that the food is still very good and while the ambience may be lacking to some, we loved it!

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Patrick1

It depends what do you call a bluff. L'Ami Louis is called here "a French bistrot the Americans like" (Bill Clinton famously insisted to eat there during his last official visit, much to the dismay of his hosts who wanted to take him to Taillevent). And indeed, there are more tourists than Parisians. But then, when I go to New York I love to eat at Michael Jordan's Steakhouse, although my horrified American friends always try to convince me to switch to some fancy eateries.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 10:47 AM
mimi taylor

We love the Regalade, it's near the Parc Montsouris, a stylish place so a bit dressier than the average bistro and book a few weeks in advance or sooner.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Julie

I second the rec for Regalade. Two of 4 of us liked our meal there better than the one we had at L'Astrance on a recent trip to Paris. The terrine/pate alone is worth the visit.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 05:39 AM
joe

mouth is watering. booking Louis and Relegade now. Any more suggestions?