Birthday Surprise: Paris or Nice

Feb 28th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Birthday Surprise: Paris or Nice

I want to surprise my husband for his 55th birthday with a few days in either Paris or Nice.

If in Paris, I`d like a nice apartment with character well located (maybe in 7e arrondissement).

Another option is Nice; again I`d like to find a nice place close to everything.

Any suggestions? I don`t know where to start!
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:38 AM

Time of year? Budget? Number of days?

Paris...first visit? 7th is often mentioned, but 4th/5th/6th are fine. The Metro/bus system is very good, so you can adjust your location by price and not feel you will be too far from things. Some people like to walk to some sites (Notre Dame, Louvre Eiffel Tower,etc.) That can also factor in. Some like less touristy neighbourhoods so they can get a more 'local feel'. The 7th, based on some comments here, can be seen as a bit sedate, which may be exactly what you want.

There are many reviews here on appartments, so set aside some time to go through these.
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Désolée..

June 26 to July 3
Budget: I can splurge!
My first visit, not his, but he always wanted to go back with me.

It may seem cliché, but I`d like the typical apartment with long windows and a little balcony in a nice historic building (can`t get around that one anyway!) with a view of...yes, the tower would be nice! Just like you see in the movies!! Local feel definitely a plus. I`d like to avoid the métro if I can. I don`t mind "sedate" but not dead!

I found quite a few sites for apartment rentals, but i`m getting overwhelmed and would like recommendations based on people`s experience. Any of these rental sites to really stay away from?

Merci!
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:12 AM

Try a search here on "Paris appartment" (and other combinations). This is a common topic, and you will find agencies and specific appartments recommended. And with your budget...
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:17 AM

There was a previous post on luxury Paris apartment rentals, where someone highly recommended this company: parisvacactionapartments.com Their website seems to advertise a lot of luxury apartments. The poster recommended one that is in Le Palais Royal, and raved in particular about a "two-bed triplex." See if you can pull it up. I'd do it myself if I weren't so tech unworthy!!
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, but that`s my problem! I found too many sites! Not knowing the city that well, it`s difficult to determine where to look, what are the best areas, and the ones to definitely avoid.
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Just go to parisperfect.com; these are all high-end rentals with views of the Tour Eiffel. Your dates may not work; hope you are flexible. Good luck!
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Andie -

A very, VERY nice surprise for hubbie, I must say! Our first stay in Paris had the kinds of views you're talking about, but from our hotel balcony, not an apartment balcony.

This year we're staying at an apartment in Palais Royal (referenced above by Weadles). It looks fabulous in the pictures, but alas no view of the tower.

The website for Paris Vacation Apartments is:

http://parisvacationapartments.com/home.html

Sam
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:12 PM

AndieB,

Le Palais Royal is a very good location, so if you rented an apt there, you'd be off to a great start.
Feb 28th, 2008, 02:10 PM

The discussion is running that way already, but I suggest that if you have not yet been to Paris, Nice can wait.
Feb 28th, 2008, 02:30 PM

As someone who personally is not thrilled with surprises, be aware that apartments have very strict cancellation policies. You'll make a substantial deposit right now which is probably nonrefundable, and likely have to pay the balance of the rental before you arrive. Even "nonrefundable" airfare can usually be reticketed for fee (although not true of consolidator fares), and of course you know what the cancellation policy is of a hotel upfront.

You may want to look at vacation rental reviews on the Slow Travel website: www.slowtrav.com

My other comment is, if you're American, why not enjoy part of 4th of July holiday weekend as well, instead of returning on the 3rd?
Feb 28th, 2008, 02:46 PM
ira

Hi A,

If you haven't yet been to Paris, no question.

If you have been to Paris, I suggest Paris.

Feb 28th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Definitely Paris. Something fancy in the 1st, if you can swing it.

And good for any time of the year as well. I was there the same time last year, surprised my mom for her birthday. The weather wasn't so great (rainy and cold, no higher than 65 degrees F, and of course, beautiful and sunny the day we had to leave). A beautiful & memorable time was had by all.

There's something romantic about Paris, even in the cold rain.
Feb 29th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all you replies. I agree that Nice can wait! I'll check out the Palais Royal and the other sites suggested.

To Lovisa - Many celebrations in Paris: ur wedding anniversary June 27, his birthday June 30 and Canada Day July 1st (I'm French Canadian)!

Merci to all!