Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Birthday dinner with Eiffel Tower view (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/birthday-dinner-with-eiffel-tower-view-1107034/)

Cjar May 13th, 2016 09:19 AM

Birthday dinner with Eiffel Tower view

October 12th our family of 4 arrives in Paris via the train from London. That also happens to be my husband's birthday and we'd like to have a nice dinner somewhere with a great view of the Eiffel Tower. That seems apropos for a celebration our first night, first trip to Paris. He is a footy and really looking forward to eating his way through that leg of our trip. I enjoy well prepared food, but am less adventurous. I have one adventurous eater and one who'd be happy eating burritos and burgers. They have eaten in nice restaurants. I'm not sure what kind of price range to give for Paris. The two of us have eaten meals that ran in excess of $500 though not often and I'm not sure we want to spend double that for 4 although I'm sure it's easily done once you add in alcohol.

On a side note how much time do we need to get from the train station to our hotel in the Latin Quarter?

Christina May 13th, 2016 10:11 AM

The area people call "the Latin Quarter" is large enough that you need to say where you are going to say how long it will take. Mainly in terms of metro/RER stops, some hotels are right near one and some are not. How do you intend to get there, also? I thought you were going to stay at the Signature St Germain, but perhaps you have changed your plans -- that hotel isn't in the Latin Qtr, it's near Bon Marche dept store near Sevres-Babylone metro stop. It's hard to say about traffic, it could take about a half hour by taxi if busy. There is no direct metro line so that's probably what I would do.

Here is a decent restaurant/cafe with Tower view across the river. http://www.chezfrancis-restaurant.com/?lang=en
Not nearly as expensive as you want, though, and maybe not adventurous enough (I also don't know if you can guarantee that view).

I'd suggest Cafe de l'Homme at the Trocadero
http://www.cafedelhomme.com/en

You can reserve online, it's definitely in your price range (I'd guess less than 100 euro per person, maybe more like 50-75) and more exciting for a foodie, I think. YOu will find some sites that claim it has closed, but I believe it reopened last December after refurbishment. Here is sort of a review https://bonjourparis.com/museums/fab...afe-de-lhomme/

DebitNM May 13th, 2016 10:23 AM

I highly recommend Ciel de Paris - we have had lunch there 2 times and it has been A+ each time. The views of the Eiffel Tower can't be beat. I would make a reservation so you are there as the sun sets so you can see the tower as it lights up. Be sure to request window table with ET view.

http://www.cieldeparis.com/en/

StCirq May 13th, 2016 10:35 AM

Another vote for Ciel de Paris.

MyriamC May 13th, 2016 11:59 AM

A friend of mine dined at L'Oiseau Blanc the other day. Her dinner looked divine, as was her view ont he Eiffel Tower.

Cjar May 13th, 2016 03:48 PM

Thank you for the restaurant suggestions. I will definitely take a peek at the websites. I think it's better to make reservations earlier rather than later if possible.

Christine- Idid look at Signature St. Germain, but ended up booking at Hotel Atmospheres on rue des ecoles based on a Fodorites suggestion.

I'm trying to figure out what time to arrive on the train In order to check into hotel, freshen up and make it to a dinner reservation. We'll probably take a taxi since trying to figure out the metro with luggage and do all of the above is more challenge than I'm up to. Is taxi readily available at Gare du Nord?

denisea May 14th, 2016 07:09 AM

You could take a look at Cafe Branly in the Musee du quai Branly.

http://www.quaibranly.fr/en/professi...s/cafe-branly/

Belinda May 14th, 2016 09:03 AM

I think I'm the friend Myriam is talking about. L'Oiseau Blanc at the Peninsula hotel was very good. Service superb! Rather than Cafe Branly I think you want
Les Ombres, adjacent to Musee Branly; very good food and great view of the Tower and the surrounding rooftops.

denisea May 14th, 2016 10:13 AM

Thanks Belinda...you are right about Les Ombres!

MyriamC May 14th, 2016 10:13 AM

@Belinda
Yes, my friend, it was you I was talking about. :-D

fuzzbucket May 14th, 2016 10:28 AM

Les Ombres will give you a wonderful view and decent food at a fair value. You will have the best view of the Eiffel Tower if you book a table on the terrace upstairs, though the restaurant is basically made of glass windows. It might be a little windy and chilly up there, but the terrace will be heated - just bundle up a little and you'll be fine.

You can easily book Les Ombres through Groupon, but don't have to opt for the "special discount menu". This way, you can order whatever you want, though won't receive any discount.

Or, you might just settle in for a nice meal somewhere near your hotel and go visit the Eiffel Tower afterwards with a bottle of champagne and some plastic glasses. This way, you'll have the Eiffel Tower all to yourselves and can take some good photos. The area is safe, lots of police around, so no worries about being there after dark or travelling on the Metro.

There are lots of scam artists at Gare du Nord. Taxis are allowed to drop off but not pick up passengers outside the main entrance. Make sure to head left on the sidewalk, after leaving the station, and look for the TAXI sign. Wait your turn in line here, and don't go with anyone who double parks in the street or walks up and offers you a ride.

Hand the driver the complete printed address of your hotel, including the Postal Code - that way, there won't be any confusion. The metered fare is good for 4 passengers, and there is no fee for baggage in the trunk. Depending on the time of day and traffic, the trip should cost you approximately 25 - 30 EU and will take approximately 20 - 30 minutes.

Belinda May 14th, 2016 01:57 PM

By the way, I had a disappointing meal at Chez Francis last week; very expensive for what it was and because they open all the windows you got the smell of cigar smoke even indoors. Plus it's really noisy right there at Alma Marceau. A shame because I always liked it. Go for a nightcap or coffee after dinner to see the tower twinkle (on the hour for 5 minutes).

Cjar May 14th, 2016 11:46 PM

Thank you everyone. I just noticed my initial post has autocorrected the word foodie to footy. I believe that's something a toddler wears to bed. I appreciate all of you restraining yourselves and not teasing me. You knew what was meant, I assume.

It looks like you have given me some wonderful options for dinner. It's just a matter of choosing something now. Les Ombres looks to have a magnificent view and Ciel de Paris and L'Oiseau Blanc a wonderful menu.
Christina - I haven't looked at your suggestions yet. I'm sure they're wonderful as well.

Fuzzbucket- the train station/ taxi tips are very much appreciated. You have truly offered me a wealth of information on my many posts and it is greatly appreciated. I wish I could offer you a pint or a glass of wine or nice neat scotch, whichever appeals to you.

fuzzbucket May 15th, 2016 12:56 AM

No thanks necessary, Cjar, but the offer is very much appreciated!

I remember my first time coming to Europe - all alone, back in the mid-1970's. No internet, no forums, no nothing but some seriously outdated guidebooks. It wasn't easy to find or ask for help from anyone who had been here before, and I ended up making lots of mistakes - some of which cost more money than I had at the time.

The good thing is that you're smart enough to ask before you go - and though you'll probably end up making a few mistakes along the way, you will still enjoy yourself tremendously.

buzzcolin May 15th, 2016 05:38 AM

Have you considered the Dinner cruise on the Seine? Have a look for 'dinner cruises on the Seine' and there are several to choose from. The one that caught my eye when I was looking last year was the wooden boat that goes from quiet near Notre Dame. They stop in front of the Eiffel Tower when all the lights come on. Really special. The reviews were mostly very good. We did not do it when we were there because we ran out of time. Still on my list!!

DebitNM May 15th, 2016 05:43 AM

I would suggest skipping the dinner cruise. The boat ride is awesome, we do it every trip to Paris, a tradition of sorts. But the food usually leaves something to be desired - especially for a footy, l mean foodie.

Eat and sail seperately..

Cjar May 16th, 2016 12:12 AM

The cruise sounds very romantic. If it were only my husband and I, it would be on the shortlist.