Currency Exchange in Praha

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currency Exchange in Praha

Hello All,

I will arrive Praha by Train.

Do you know any places the offer good exchange rate?

Is there any ATM machine around the railway station?

Hope to hear your reply.

thanks.

Gavin
Old May 5th, 2013, 11:34 PM

Check this out.

http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/h...nd-prague.html

If you can't find it, do a search on train.
Old May 6th, 2013, 12:13 AM

there sre several ATMs within the train station and they will offer you the best rate on the day,there is also an exchange office ,but like most exchange offices it does not offer good rates.The Train station has recently undergone major refurbishment and is very nice now, they are still working on restoring the original entrance area.
Couple of tips, try and take out un uneven numer of Crowns,Ie 2900Kc or 4700Kc.
I once took out 6000kc out of the atm in the station and was lect with 3X 2000kc notes,not great but I was able to change them when buying tickets.
If you need some coins,there is a machine that can change 100 and 200kc in the locker area on the lower floor of the station.
Old May 6th, 2013, 06:28 AM

There are ATMs in the train station. There are also panhandlers prowling the station looking for people like you. I suggest that you walk to the city center and find an ATM attached to a bank.
Old May 6th, 2013, 07:03 AM

Spaarne brings up a good point though I will qualify it a bit.
There are some folk around the train station that look a bit unsavoury and sometimes ask for change,just tell them no and you will be fine,The train station was really bad for this a number of years ago as it was a a big dark dingy place.It has been completely transformed and is more shopping mall than train station now but that does not mean to say you won't encounter a few beggars.Now the better weather is here you are more likely to see them on the benches outside the train station.
Now onto the more important bit.There is a faily new scam going around ,a variation of the "exchange money in the Street" scam.
What happens is someone will see you take money out an ATM and if you just get big notes then you will want to change them to smaller ones,someone may offer to do this for you, you part with a couple of 2000Kc and in exchange you get the equivelent money in a currency you have never heard of, usually worth less Hungarian or Romanian notes,before you notice the guy is off with your money.This can happen at any ATM not just the train station so watch out for the nice guy that tries to be helpful and ends up stealing from you.I am not saying this scam is widespread but just be aware of it.You still get the odd guy offering to change money in the street,Just don't.
I am not trying to spread panic and worry,but just want you to be aware that some folk do try and take advantage of tired tourists especially when they first arrive in the city.Just be aware ,don't change money anywhere but a bank and be vigilent around the ATM machines.
I have manged to make 2 or 3 trips to Prague each year for numerous years and never had a problem.
Old May 6th, 2013, 07:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WHICH train station? Hlavni nadrazi or Holesovice? There are ATMs at both

You don't need to worry about anybody "helping" you use an ATM and since you are using an ATM why would you do any business with anyone "in the street?"
Old May 9th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks the above. Very useful information.
Old May 10th, 2013, 03:15 AM

Similar experience during our recent visit:

a) withdrew money in the train station, no problem

b) zillions of ATMs all around town, very easy to find (in contrast to our previous stop in Berlin where they seemed more hidden to me). I visited quite a few as I used a little more cash than normal and I didn't want to over withdraw and be stuck with too much (as opposed to Euros which I can save to the next trip).

c) was asked to exchange money (high for low) after withdrawing money on one occasion

d) did receive fairly large denominations upon withdrawal so the suggestion to put in an odd amount is a good one
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:02 AM

How about at the airport in Prague- where is the best place to exchange? I don't use ATM's so I'm interested in the best option when arriving by air. Thanks
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:38 AM

I have not used the exchange counters at the airport but have heard they do not offer a good exchange rate.I have been using atm's in my travels for years with no problem.I just don't know folk that don't used ATM's,even my 86 year old mother has embraced the technology.
Please say you don't bring Travellers cheques as they are almost obsolete in Europe now.
Old May 10th, 2013, 08:37 AM

Well, I have used them at the airport and in the city, and have found that exchange bureaux in Prague generally give pretty good rates, at least compared to other cities. Of course some are better than others, but just look at the rates and see. Of course the ones you first come to when exiting the airport are not the best rates, the ones as you go farther (closer to the exit) are. So that would be my tip, don't use the first ones.

And in the city, do not use people on the street if you use one, go to a real shop/booth. And unlike other cities, Amex gives pretty good rates in Prague, there is one on Wenceslas Square and another in Mala Strana as I recall, but that may be closed now. Thomas COok used to be pretty big in Prague, and their rates were decent--there used to be one of them at the airport.

Be sure you know how to read the exchange rate signs, often the rates posted are not for exchanging money to CZK but vice versa, and make sure you understand if there is any other fee added on or not. This looks like good info on the subject http://www.allpraha.com/Exchange_Rates/

However, I do agree you should use ATMs if possible, if not, Prague isn't the worst place to exchange.
Old May 10th, 2013, 01:36 PM

"What happens is someone will see you take money out an ATM and if you just get big notes then you will want to change them to smaller ones,someone may offer to do this for you..."

I had someone offer this "service" to me. Ummm...yeah, because people who do business on the street at known for their honest dealings.
Old May 26th, 2013, 06:45 AM

Just returned from Prague. Money exchange is very big business, everyone is in it - from banks to independents; there are several per block in the city center working long hours. 2 or 3 are in train station. Must be very profitable. However most legit businesses take credit cards (including public transit in the main train station) and therefore need for cash is somewhat exaggerated. It's needed for small purchases like street food, public bathrooms, airport bus, etc.
For example bank gave me 24.9Kč for 1€ when I changed 100€ (25.40Kč per 1€ less 50Kč min commission). My CC charged me at a rate of 25.78Kč per 1€. Much better deal.
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 07:15 AM

Hi, there is a list of exchange offices, which offer the best exchange rates in Prague (incl. VIP coupons for better exchange rates):
http://www.prague-tourism.eu/where-t...ney-prague.htm

AuraAktiv Exchange and EuroChange are close to Main railway station.
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 06:25 AM

There is a bank of ATMs as you exit the airport. Pick one. Like the idea of using an odd amount, so you get some smaller bills.