Birthday Dinner in Amsterdam

Nov 12th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Birthday Dinner in Amsterdam

Thanks to all of you who've been so helpful with my last-minute trip to Africa and the Netherlands. As it turns out, I'll be in Amsterdam with my business partner and SO on my *&@)$th birthday. Any suggestions for a romantic place to have a nice meal?

We're both totally adventurous eaters, love all kinds of food, prefer spicy over bland (so maybe not a typical Dutch pea soup type of meal, which I'm sure we'll enjoy while we're there anyway), and I guess we'd probably like to keep it to under $100 a person, but if there's someplace really, really special, we're happy to splurge.

Nov 13th, 2007, 02:34 AM

The Five Flies is nice. http://tinyurl.com/28g54m
Nov 13th, 2007, 09:18 AM

Did you want a nice Indonesian restaurant..?
Nov 13th, 2007, 09:25 AM

For my "*&@)$th " birthday, my wife treated me to a dinner of twelve raw oysters off the chest of a hooker in the red light district. It was very romantic.
Nov 13th, 2007, 12:30 PM

I don't eat out in Amsterdam so I can't really help you.
I have heard of a restaurant called Umoja, (Swahili for unity - appropriate for after a trip to Kenya!) which is smoke free, and uses organic and fair trade foods. It gets good write ups. It is on the Amstelveensestraat 154, near the Vondel park.
You could have a look at www.dinnersite.nl. Put in Noord Holland as the province, and the type of food you fancy (even though it is Dutch it is fairly easy it follow) and even the price you have in mind. It will give you a list of restaurants.
Sadly i can't get hold of my son to get his advice before you leave. He lived in Amsterdam and knows some interesting little restaurants.
If you can check in while you are away let me know and I'll get some suggestions from him.
Nov 13th, 2007, 12:55 PM

Ooooh... do a traditional Indonesian Rijstaffel. Perfect for a celebratory dinner and oh so Dutch.
Nov 13th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Does anyone know if the food is good at the Sea Palace? It looks like a romantic place for dinner...

http://www.seapalace.nl/