Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Birding in Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/birding-in-europe-516962/)

letsgobird Mar 30th, 2005 04:15 AM

Birding in Europe

How many birders do we have on board? I'm going to Italy in June, I'm hoping to be successful in adding to my life list there, tour schedule permitting. Does anyone else bird while on trips? Bren

wliwl Mar 30th, 2005 04:22 AM

Well, I am a birder, and I'm going to Italy in June, BUT I don't think I'll be birding as I'll only be in Rome! However, when I was in Europe (Paris) last I noticed LOTS of birds in the woods at Versailles and felt a little frantic that I didn't have binos and I wouldn't have known what they were anyway. It's odd to be in a place like that and not automatically recognize the bird songs!

I am the only birder in my family, so doing trips for birding is sort of out of the question at the moment anyway. Even if I start to fall behind looking at birds (even when we are out hiking out kayaking) I hear a little grumbling from kids and husband. SO I mostly bird locally with other birders.

Have fun on your trip! I'm jealous!

sheila Mar 30th, 2005 04:37 AM

I'm a birder. Where are you going? Italy is pretty awful- a bit of a desert.

letsgobird Mar 30th, 2005 04:56 AM

I'm going on an 11 day tour to Rome, Venice, Florence, Naples, Pompeii, Isle of Capri. I know-it will be a whirlwind tour but I understand we have a few hours off around lunch everyday. We birders know that the early morning and late afternoon is the best time of day, so I don't know how successful I'll be. I've thought about taking a monocular instead of my 10 power binos, just for weight sake, but I've never used those. Bren

sheila Mar 30th, 2005 05:04 AM

I have one friend who habitually uses a monocular, rather than bins.

I've got some good books at home, and I'll let you know what they recommend.

Scarlett Mar 30th, 2005 05:17 AM

I am mostly a Birder Wannabee.
But I am lucky to be in a place where some interesting birds visit me :)
I do tend to be on the look out while traveling, but I have not officially been on a Birding trip.
Old neighbors went to Canada, near Toronto each year for a big migration birding week and to New Zealand..now <i>that</i> is good birding :D

cigalechanta Mar 30th, 2005 07:46 AM

I'm a wannabe too who bird watched in the Camargue and also in Brittany at the Grand Biere near La Roche-Bernard, which is mostly a bird sanctuary.

Underhill Mar 30th, 2005 07:52 AM

We don't bird specifically while in France but have come across some interesting birds just by luck--such as the hoopoe we spotted near Gordes.

sheila Apr 3rd, 2005 11:28 AM

My &quot;wher to&quot; giuide says-

Rome-Try Villa Phanphili, Villa Ada and Villa Borghese, the Forum, Castel Guibileo and the Magliana.

In Venice, the lagoon, east side; Florence, Naples and Pompei don't get a mention. Capri sounds pretty good.

If yo want more detail on any of these, email me and I'll scan the pages and email them to you

Gavin Apr 3rd, 2005 05:02 PM

Some of my Europe trips have been primarlily birding. For these all gear is packed...telescope and heavy tripod, best bins and hiking boots. This kind of trip has meant hauling all this stuff on Eurostar to Paris after birding in East Anglia or on the AVE from Sevilla to Madrid after birding in southwest Spain. This style of travel exposes you to parts of countries that other travelers don't often see. The downside is that there is less time for the major sites. An extreme example is my recent trip to Ethiopia with a birding group. We saw lots of birds, people and landscapes but none of the historical sites that most visitors to Ethiopia see.

Other trips are incidental birding only as I am doing the same sort of things that others on this board are doing. We might take one medium quality binocular (so as not to be too concerned about loss) between the two of us in hopes of some small birding opportunity occuring but there is not any real chance of seeing any new birds. Whether or not it is a birding trip I alway keep a trip list.

inge123 May 14th, 2007 01:21 AM

i have been in birding the Netherlands. nature reserve Oostvaardersplassen near amsterdam (www.birdsnetherlands.nl)

And belgium, nature reserve het Zwin, near Knokke.