Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bill introduced for travel expenses as tax credits

Oct 5th, 2001, 10:22 AM
D.J.

I just read a news report that said a bill was introduced on thursday to allow tax credit for travel anywhere from 100 miles away from home.Also it said this would be good from the time the bill is passed into law until Dec.31, 2001.Does that make sense?I thought that bills usually took months or even years sometimes to get passed into law.Its already October, that would leave us with barely 2 months to enjoy this credit before it would expire.I think that anyone who didnt cancel travel plans from Sept. 11 up until the begining of next summer or even in the next upcoming year should deserve this tax credit.Its only $500 per person or $1000 per couple.I also think that you should have to travel at least 300 miles to get this credit,(as this would insure an overnight stay)100 miles is only a day trip.

Oct 5th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Huh?

Don't worry. This is just some lame idea, probably proposed by a Republican to help out fat cats who can travel at the drop of a hat. It'll never, ever pass.

Oct 5th, 2001, 10:35 AM
D.J.

Darn, thats what I thought you were going to say.I was looking for something like "thats going to fly through just in time for your late October vacation.Thanks anyway.

Oct 5th, 2001, 01:23 PM
fatcat

Do you know why most fat cats ARE fat cats? Because they work at jobs that pay good money or they own their own companies, creating jobs for others in the process. Of course, that takes an education and lots of hard work, something a lot of lazy lard asses don't want to do. They would rather look to the Democrats for handouts and then gripe about the rich or work at the local hamburger joint for 20 years and expect a $15 minimum wage. You, too, could be a fat cat if you tried. That's what is so great about this country.

Oct 5th, 2001, 02:26 PM
D.J.

So what Fat cat.Whats your point?This thread is not intended for political comments that have nothing to do with the travel tax credit bill I originally posted about.Dont twist this thread into something its not.

Oct 5th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Huh?

Actually, most fat cats are fat because they inherited wealth or they were able to exploit family connections to position themselves to acquire wealth. Dan Quayle. Al Gore. George Bush. Just to name three.

Oct 5th, 2001, 02:49 PM
Disgusted

You are all morons

Oct 5th, 2001, 07:05 PM
fatcat

No, actually, most wealth is not inherited. Most wealth is accumulated by risk takers who start their own company, also creating jobs for others. Bill Gates is an extremely rich man, but he also employes hundreds of thousands of people and creates wealth for many of them. No poor man ever created a job for anybody! Envy of the rich is the beginning of the end for a society.

Oct 5th, 2001, 07:27 PM
obesecat

Is this the site for felines with eating disorders?

Oct 5th, 2001, 09:34 PM
David

This bill is the dumb idea of the Senator from the great state of Arizona; where education is on a par with Mississippi, but the golf courses get $250 for a round of golf in season. The good Senator does not want the courses to have to reduce their "market fueled" prices, so a tax credit for all travellers is in order.
THIS IS DISGUSTING!!!
For a thousand bucks my wife and I can fly to NY; stay at the Pierre for a night and charge you know who for our frolics...
GOTTA LOVE THIS COUNTRY!!!

Oct 5th, 2001, 09:46 PM
Government

DJ - it probably won't pass, but just to answer your question: while most bills don't take effect immediately, there is such a thing as emergency legislation that could.

Oct 6th, 2001, 07:11 AM
Al

David, please let me help you be more specific. This air balloon of an idea was sent aloft by John Kyl, Arizona's junior Republican senator. John McCain, the state's senior Republican senator, had nothing to do with this nutball thought.

Oct 6th, 2001, 08:07 PM
David

Al:
Thanks for clarifying which Republican Senator is responsible for this airhead idea. With all due respect to the State's Sr. Senator, before he obtained a national constituency, he too would have eaily come up with such an idea.
I remember the days when he came off sounding like every other loony Republican in this state!

Oct 6th, 2001, 08:11 PM
JOdy

I don't care who proposed it, if they are dumb enough to pass it I will take advanage of it. serves them right, who is paying for all these cuts.... Guess and the first 2 don't count!!

Oct 7th, 2001, 04:00 PM
fatcat

The same people who pay for all the hand-outs to the lazy bums who won't get jobs.

Oct 8th, 2001, 08:21 AM
Michael

I doubt it will get anywhere, and I don't think it should, but D.J., "ONLY" $500 or $1,000 per person??? This is a tax CREDIT, not a deduction. A deduction only reduces the amount of income on which you pay taxes. A tax credit is a credit against tax you owe. A tax credit of $500 is equivalent, depending on your rate, to a deduction of at least $1,500, or $3,000 per couple. Pretty substantial, I would have to say. Which is another reason why it shouldn't pass. It's ridiculous.

Oct 8th, 2001, 08:51 AM
D.J.

Micheal, thanks for clarifiying that, I guess I didn't quite understand how that works out on the taxes.