Bike Tour in Corsica or Dordogne?

May 14th, 2003, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Bike Tour in Corsica or Dordogne?

We are considering a bike tour this September in either Corsica or Dordogne. The Dordogne trip is with Backroads. The Corsica tour is with Bike Riders Tours. Both sound like terrific options so we are having a hard time deciding. Would appreciate feedback either on merits of one place over the other, or on the two bike touring companies.
May 14th, 2003, 06:23 AM

I've never been to Corsica, but I've been to the Dordogne several times and will be back there in 2 weeks. The first time was on the Backroads Dordogne trip. It was fabulous. It is just a wonderful area of France -- a bit hilly, particularly riding up to the bastide towns, but not like Provence. When I did the trip, I did the camping trip, which Backroads no longer offers in Europe. Having travelled with them, though, I'd say you can't go wrong on their inn trip. If you'd like to know anything else, let me know!
May 14th, 2003, 12:57 PM

I have not been to Corsica, but from the pictures I've seen and the squiggly roads on the map, I would guess that it is much hillier than the Dordogne. You might need to take this into consideration.
May 14th, 2003, 01:32 PM

Well, these are two completely disparate places to contemplate bike-riding in. Haven't been to Corsica, but what I know of it suggests it would be a lot more rugged terrain. I think it all comes down to geography (do you want craggy hills and spectacular water views or verdant valleys and gorges?), and what you want to eat at the end of the day(langoustines or foie gras?)
Aug 3rd, 2003, 06:31 PM

I just returned from Corsica and found the rodes to be extremely hilly, windy and most importantly, dangerous. It's a spectacular island and a great trip but I would not want to be on a bike with those drivers whipping past me. I could, however, imagine it would be terrific if you were on a totally isolated stretch of road. Good Luck!
Aug 3rd, 2003, 06:43 PM

I wouldn't say that the roads in the Dordogne are less than dangerous for cyclists. The roads are tiny and tortuous and I've almost felled a few bicyclists myself on a few occasions, coming around a curve, and I tend to come around them a lot less quickly than the locals.