Bike rides with young children in Rome/Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in Italy in mid June to early July. My kids aged 6 and 7 are proficient bike riders (we bike to school daily as well as many other rides) - are there suitable bike rides in or around Rome and Florence. We like to do things to keep the kids interested as well!
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 09:20 AM
LJ

I really think you need to see and expereince the traffic in either of these cities before you commit to your kids that this is doable, 'cause once you mention a plan like this to little ones, they consider it as good as done (as you will know!). I don't believe I have ever seen a child that age on a bike within the city in Rome and even Florence is pretty wild with the mopeds and scooters.

You may have been thinking of parks where bikes can be rented and ridden, but I will leave that for others who may have more specific knowledge.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 09:28 AM

Based on my many experiences in both cities, I would say this would not be very safe.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 04:46 PM

Hi Ozchick,

One of my most vivid memories of Florence was jumping into a doorway to avoid be run over by a Vespa. I was on the 2 foot wide sidewalk at the time! No this is NOT a place to ride bikes - unless they are the motorized kind and you are the competitive kind!

One of the main roads into/out of Rome is closed to vehicle traffic on Sundays and people ride bikes. I believe it's the Via Auralia (SP)? I will be there on a Sunday this Sept and am considering a ride if I have time.

If I find out more info, like rental locations, I'll post. I believe Rick Steves mentions this activity in his guidebooks.

Buon viaggio!
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 05:33 PM

I have not done it myself, but I would consider visiting Lucca, which is quite close to Florence. It is a walled city and riding bikes on the wall around the city is apparently THE tourist thing to do there. Any guide book can give you more details on where to rent the bikes, but it sounds quite simple and enjoyable. I will be trying it out in late June- maybe I'll see you there!