Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

BIG HAIRED TEXAN NEEDS HELP WITH ITALIAN FASHION FOR NOVEMBER TRIP

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 04:07 PM
darla

as most people know Texans like everything big and to excess at times. My hair is BIG, naturally though, tons of cascading curls and volume.I get lots of compliments on the hair, but I don't like to stand out. I do wear too much make up also, not like a clown, or exagerated. I use a good base, color the cheeks, mascara, lipstick and so forth. I guess I just want to fit in, and be part of the crowd, not to be stared at because of my huge blond hair and precise make up. What is in for fashion in Italy this fall? please be specific about colors and style. Do italians wear makeup? your help is appreciated and i am most thankful.(be kind)

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 04:20 PM
Texan

OH, PLEAZ, As a Texan, I know a troll when I read one. I doubt you have ever been to the Lone Star State, much less live here.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 04:21 PM
Flat Haired in Los Angeles

Come on Darla. Give them the full monty. <BR>Be a true Texan and don't tone down one bit. Show them what you got! Doll yourself up and hit those cobblestones!

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 04:27 PM
Book Chick

Omigod! Bippy's gone, but we're back to Trollapalooza!!!!!!!!!!!! <BR> <BR>(Accent on the "ooza"!)

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 04:31 PM
Lulu

Are you Dolly Parton?

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 05:00 PM
darla

Yes, I do live in the Lone Star State. I live in Southwest Houston, near Meyerland. I went to Bonham elementary, Fondren junior high and Bellaire High. I truly want some fashion advice and would still appreciate some real advice.Why is it always trolling when someone needs advice? and why did you all bother to repond if you were only willing to laugh and put me down. What does that say about your motives. If your not willing to help visit one of those chat lines, I don't get it??? I have nevered been to italy, don't have much fashion sense, and wanted some help. When I posted for help before for a tour NOT ONE single person helped. So I figured i may get lots of help by putting the big hair thing (which is true). I noticed that the sites which people get help is if there was a racy opening. I just wanted help but only attracted the wrong types. Sorry for wasting your time. honestly there are real people around, that have come to this site for help. All is true about my makeup and hair. I stated I did not look like a clown. or exagerated, just a bit too polished, I never said I dressed trashy had huge boobs, hence not a Dolly Parton. Some of you need to get a little humour in your life and understand that people are all diverse and different. I know everyone can't be like this, so I honestly do appreciate any advice about color, fashion,(especially pants, are they low riders, capri type and so forth that are in fashion. Any advice is welcome about fashion. Many thanks in advance.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 05:11 PM
BigD

I wondered about what happened to Tammy FAye!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 05:13 PM
darla

To Flat haired in L.A., <BR>forgot you!!! thanks for your benevolant post. among the ugliness, I read over yours, when you had great advice. When I go to L.A. my hair does stay flat and straight, Love it! I grew up learning "do unto others" as you did. Your kindness and spirit made my day.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 05:17 PM
Fashion

Darla honey: <BR> <BR>Wash the hair and dry it without a blowdrier and put it in a sleek ponytail. Scrape off the makeup - Italians don't need it as they have perfect complexions. Slide on a discreet-colored lipstick and a small dab of mascara. Get some black linen capris and a white linen long-sleeved shirt/jacket and some fabulous sandals (you may have to wait to get to Italy to buy those). Wear the classiest sunglasses you can find in Texas (maybe wait until Italy for that too, come to think of it). Be a size 4 by the time you leave if you can manage it. Buona fortuna!

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 05:43 PM
Carol

The above post is accurate. Bring all black bottoms: capri, ankle, short skirt, long skirt. All worn with flat strappy sandal. White or pastel t-shirts. No sequins. Sleek pony-tail. But I'd never give up my make-up.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 06:01 PM
carol

WHERE in Italy? <BR> <BR>In small towns in the boonies, maybe tone down the makeup and wear conservative necklines and skirts instead of pants. Otherwise, any place else, i.e. larger towns or places where lots of foreigners visit, just dress and make up any way you please. But ANYWHERE wear extremely comfortable shoes even if they're not fashionable in Italy or in Texas, leave your hair alone, and be friendly and respectful.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 06:04 PM
darla

To Fashion asst. and Carol, <BR>THANK YOU both. I have been purchasing black bottoms, but I still take sandals in November?? I thought white would be out in November also-then again what do I know, thats why I posted. Now I could kill myself for spending so much money on these funky black thick sole shoes(esprit for walking). I thought they were ugly but they are in magazines everywhere here.My 16 year old that they were great and said they were in fashion as a 50 year old woman at work said. I don't have a perfect complexion but will scale down, and yes i have managed the size four!!

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 06:10 PM
darla

Carol,I will travel to several locations <BR>Rome, Venice, Florence. I agree, kindness and respect for another countries values and traditions are important,much more important perhaps than dress. I just wanted to fit in and show respect by dressing appropriate. Thanks!

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 06:13 PM
carol at 10:01

Carol at 10:01 is not the same as Carol from 9:43. I'm the 10:01 who says dress and make yourself up any way you please, subject to certain changes if you're going off the beaten track to very traditional places.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 06:59 PM
YS

Although this is not Italian (but French) you can get some pointers here: <BR>http://www.galerieslafayette.com/

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 11:59 PM
cova

Hi Darla, <BR>maybe this site could be helpful <BR>http://www.italyitalymagazine.com/ <BR> <BR>Rgds

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 12:34 AM
Gina

Sorry folks, but Italians love to wear make-up! And it is very easy to wear a size 4, when you are barely 5 feet tall.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 04:27 AM
fashion

It could be a little cool (especially for a Texan) for sandals in Nov., and likely to be raining. The funky black shoes sound good and will protect the soles from the pounding. And......buy a pair (or 2) while you are there. Think about a jacket for the rain - not London Fog, though. We were there in Nov01 and it rained quite a bit - torrential downpours! <BR> <BR>I appreciate your honest assessment of yourself and your willingness to try to fit in. It may become a new style for you! Instead of tees, how 'bout turtlenecks in a variety of fabrics, light sweaters, and black bottoms as suggested. I even wore blue jeans during the day w/no problem.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 04:52 AM
Surlok

Darla, <BR> <BR>Watch a little the Italian channels on cable TV. <BR> <BR>It's untrue that italian women wear little make up. Many Roman ladies wear base, blush, eye shadow ( although not strikling blue or green) mascara and lipstick, and the color very much depends on their clothes color, their completion, and so far and so on. <BR> <BR>Red was the most used color for clothes in Summer, but they put this all together with style. <BR> <BR>Also, I don't think you should change yourself or your style because you're in Italy or wherever. Be yourself. I think is quite uncomfortable to try to look different than our real selves. Just be you, but be the most discreet you. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 06:09 AM
carol

Hey Darla, <BR> <BR>What is with these folks who are tellin' ya to tone down in Italy????? In Italy???? The land of Sophia Loren, Gina Lollabrigida and Luciano? Not to mention Donatella Versace and her crew. The only things you should tone down are the colors of your clothes. Black, brown, beige, camel would be best. The only thing you should really be aware of is that Italian men LOVE Big Blond Hair and will go to great and perhaps annoying lengths to get your attention. And you were right not to get sandals for Italy in November--it's autumn there, too, and your clunky shoes sound perfect, as long as they're really comfortable. Lots of cobblestone streets in Italy and you need the cushioning on your feet. Have a great time, it's a wonderful country.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -