Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Big, fat wine "bottles" in France/Burgundy

Jun 30th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

I recently spent a few days driving through Burgundy with a friend. Here and there, we would see pale green glass bottles that appeared to be used for wine. These were big, fat bottles, though. The larger size you could wrap your arms around.

I saw a few for sale at a flea market for 5-10 Euro each. Since I couldn't figure out how to get one on the plane with me, I thought I might be able to find them on EBay or something like that. I'm not having any luck with Google searches on "French wine bottle" or "French wine container."

Does this sound familiar to anyone and do you know if they have a particular name?
Jun 30th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Over-size French wine bottles come in a variety of sizes: the Jeroboam (or Rehoboam), Methuselah, Salmanazar, Balthazar, and Nebuchadnezzar. Take your pick.
Jun 30th, 2004, 11:12 AM

Check with your local high-end restaurants; those often carry the over-size bottles and might be willing to sell one to you. Then again, you might just have to find a merchant who carries the large bottles--ours usually does, especially around the holidays.
Jun 30th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Underhill. I'd never seen these kinds of bottles until my recent Bourgogne trip (at least not here in the midwest).

Jun 30th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm...that doesn't appear to be what I'm looking for. The size looks right but the bottles I saw were pale green (almost no color) glass and they were shaped like a ball with a neck attached, not like a regular wine bottle that's supersized.
Jun 30th, 2004, 12:17 PM

I think the bottles that you saw were containers -- the right word doesn't occur to me either -- to transport less important (i.e., bulk) wines rather than actual wine bottles.

Ah-ha! Michael Dibdin has an interesting mystery set in Piedmont, in which some of the rural characters transport wine in "demijohns" or "damigiane" (in Italian). I can't find a French word for it, but I imagine most people on E-bay use English anyway...

According to my dictionary, a demijohn holds from 1 to 10 gallons of wine. It used to be covered in wickerwork; nowadays it is generally covered in plastic netting or not at all.

Demijohns are fat, but they are not shaped quite like a ball: the bottoms are flat, so that they can be stood up.
Jun 30th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Yep, I believe that's it, Eloise. I Googled "demijohn" and got several pictures that look like what I saw on my trip (the bottles I saw did have flat bottoms, too.)
Jun 30th, 2004, 12:36 PM

A demijohn is a dame-jeanne or bonbonne in French, in case you want to locate a real French one.
Jun 30th, 2004, 01:44 PM

I know the ones you mean and they go for a small fortune if you find one here. I have seen them in a few shops who carry vintage French things.
I wanted a large wicker covered one like my friends in Provence use for refilling but here they are ridiculously priced and not in that great a shape.
Jun 30th, 2004, 02:32 PM

The more utilitarian version of these containers is called a carboy. They come in different shapes and sizes and can be easily found at wine- and beer-making supply shops. I've even seen the round demi-john versions with wicker baskets.
Jun 30th, 2004, 08:43 PM

Try a Google for "wine making supplies" and you'll probably find it. We have several my husband got in upstate NY about 30 years ago but I wouldn't part with them.
Jul 1st, 2004, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional tips. I'll give them a try.

(I don't know why I am so fascinated by them. I guess I just like the fat, round shapes.)
Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:32 AM

janeygirl,
If your are still looking for "large" demijohns, I have two. Both are about the same size. One is in a heavy wicker basket. The wicker goes right up to the neck of the bottle. The other demijohn is in what looks to be a heavy bushel basket but it sure doesn't have the class of the wicker basket. Each of these would hold a few gallons. They appear to be about the size of a normal bushel basket. The wicker demijohn even has two large wicker handles.
Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:49 AM

Eloise, I love Michael Dibdin's books!
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:02 AM

There are several on ebay right now. Search "demijohn".
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:10 AM

Mimi is correct and the bottles are gorgeous--but TRES CHER in the US at antique shops.
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:12 AM

I found some for you!!!!!!

www.wisteria.com

under antiques in the catalog
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

logwork: Thanks but I just want the plain ones without the basketry.

cigalechanta: That's exactly what I'm looking for! I don't know if I want to pay $199 for one, though. I saw a couple of them at a flea market in Burgundy for 10 Euro each. Sigh.