Bidding 3 stars in London (Priceline)

Oct 16th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Bidding 3 stars in London (Priceline)

Anyone has experience ? I'm searching for info but other than the Holiday Inn Regents Park that seems is appearing quite often right now, I haven't found anything about other zones, specially Mayfair-Soho.
I'm trying 4 stars too but looks they are not the bargain they used to be
Looks end of January is a busy time !
Oct 16th, 2007, 08:21 AM

Biddingfortravel might be helpful to you. Here's the direct link:

http://p070.ezboard.com/LONDON-HOTEL...icID=724.topic
Oct 16th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Greenhouse

I know that site and also www.betterbidding.com, just was asking here in case someone knows something more updated...it looks no one bids for 3 stars
Oct 16th, 2007, 08:47 AM

kenderina: The majority of folks posting to those two sites are Stateside and mostly use PL to get upscale hotels for low prices. I've seen very few (ever) 3 star reports.

One problem - I wouldn't think biddingfortravel's hotel list could be very accurate for lower star ratings since the list was assembled from reports of winning bids. Since few bid 3 star there are few reports. (In fact, the hotel lists/zones are pretty out of date in any case since there seems to little support on BFT any more)

I'd just go ahead and bid 3 star - they really can't be dumps. Maybe not posh - but at least 2+star quality. Bid low and see what happens.

good luck
Oct 16th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Janisj

Maybe I discover a new "goldmine", who knows ?
Oct 16th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Hotels rate 3* in the UK would be more like 2* in the US - and I would be hesitant to bid on them unless you're done all the research on guest ratings - and are sure you can live with what might turn up.
Oct 16th, 2007, 10:16 AM

I got the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury on a 3* bid. It was fine - just as good as a 4* hotel I had another time.
Oct 16th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

nytraveler, I have no idea how are 2 stars hotels in the US, I'm from Spain and I've never been at the other side of the pond It is only for 2 nights, money is the trouble, so provided it has a lift and a clean bed, I'm OK.

Nice to know there are holiday inn's !!

Thanks both of you

Oct 16th, 2007, 11:25 AM

Kenderina:

I haven't got the foggiest idea what an American 2 star place is either, and I've probably been to more states than most Americans.

However, practically every 3 star place on the list Greenhouse cites (apart from a couple that look dodgy from outside in the Notting Hill list) looks clean and they're all (apart from the Kings Cross Holiday Inn) in reasonable areas. Actually I'd happily live in the street next to the KX H Inn, but it worries a lot of other posters.

The H Inn Regents Park, though...

Its self description on its website derseves an award for insanity. "The hotel is located near Eurostar at Kings Cross St. Pancras, Great Portland Street, Euston and Warren Street stations. The hotel is also close to Wembley Stadium and Wembley Arena." Since those places are eight miles apart, the writer's clearly never been within ten miles of the place. It goes on to tell us it's near the Excel Arena (ten miles in a completely different direction.

But it looks fine and is reasonably central. In fact, although the area looks a bit dead at night, there are a lot of good restaurants nearby, though you have to walk through some dismal-looking streets (though ones I frequently go through in the dark) to get to them

If the price is right, and as long as you're not looking to hire an advertising copywriter (because theirs is seriously delusional), I can't see why you don't just stay at the HI Regents Park.
Oct 16th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, flanneruk

I'm not too picky about the zones, in fact, I'm going in November to the Novotel Euston which is not very far from Kings Cross(I've been there before) or the Holiday Inn Regents Park. The reason why I doubted about it is because I was trying to bid mayfair or london bridge to be "nearer" of Covent Garden (which is the reason of my visit, going to the opera). I have a walking disability so I will probably be taking taxis. Anyway, money rules..so I think I will be trying the Holiday Inn Regents Park in no time
Oct 16th, 2007, 02:59 PM
ComfyShoes

Hi Kend, Frequent trips to London! Better write a report this time. I want to hear all about pintxo withdrawl symptoms despite the good "T".