Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Bicycling through the tulip fields of Holland
Notices

Bicycling through the tulip fields of Holland

Mar 29th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Original Poster

Bicycling through the tulip fields of Holland

I'm planning on bicycling from Haarlem to Leiden with a stopover at the Keukenhof Gardens in mid-April. Is it possible to rent a bike in Haarlem and drop it off in Leiden? From Leiden I'd like to continue on to Delft by train. It would be an inconvenience to have to travel back to Haarlem before continuing on to Delft. Is this unavoidable? Also, is it feasible to accomplish this on a Sunday?
Mar 29th, 2011, 11:58 PM

Sorry I can't answer your question about the drop-off but here is an introduction to Keukenhof by bike from Haarlem, http://tinyurl.com/y8hltjl. You could take the bikes on a train from Leiden back to Haarlem and then reverse course and head back south to Delft.

The weather is very unpredictable in Holland. I suggest that you be flexible and pick a sunny day. Go in the afternoon when the tulips are fully open. They close up overnight. Use your morning for a stroll around Haarlem. Everything is closed on Sunday and on Monday morning. Saturday is most active and the market at the Grote Markt is open. Have a herring with the locals at the Botermarkt.
Mar 30th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

Sadly, I really don't have much leeway in my itinerary but maybe I can juggle around a day or two if the weather is terribly cloudy and rainy. I have a day in Haarlem already planned for the day prior - perhaps I can rent a bike from Haarlem in the morning and travel by train (with said bike) to Leiden, explore Leiden and bicycle north (through the tulip fields) to Haarlem in the afternoon. Returning the bikes in Haarlem and catching a train down to Delft for the evening. Dunno.
Mar 30th, 2011, 01:37 AM

You can't drop a bike off somewhere else - they are all private companies which hire bikes and only operate in the one town.

You can hire bikes at Keukenhof and go for a ride through the fields after visiting the gardens.
See this thread: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...h-bicycles.cfm

So you could get the bus to Keukenhof, visit the gardens, have a bike ride and then carry on your way.

Search this Thread