Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bicycling in Bulgaria (or Greece, Turkey, Romania)? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bicycling-in-bulgaria-or-greece-turkey-romania-15077/)

Jens K. A. Dinesen Jun 20th, 1997 04:30 AM

Bicycling in Bulgaria (or Greece, Turkey, Romania)?

Please help, somebody out there.....
This summer, I want to got to a warm, dry, not too mountaineous, not too expensive and not too touristy place with my trusty 18-speed touring bike. I shal try (as far as possible) to stay at clean hotels and eat interesting food.
Worse, I want to go somewhere new, so France, Italy, Portugal, Spain, and Hungary are out.
Does anybody know if Bulgaria would be a good choice? Or the North-east part of the greek mainland (east Macidonia and Trace) and/or European Turkey - and/or the south-west of Romania? I have tons of guidebooks, but they mostly describe touristy areas, their information on road conditions is very scanty, and if the area doesn't have something like half the Alps in it, they just by-pass it, saying it's boring. I definitely don't like going down steep roads, and the towns don't need Notre Dame, the Tower of London and the Acropolis rolled together to please me; just a good mood, calm and a nice place to stay and eat.
Any suggestions?
By the way, anybody want info on Denmark or the other countries mentioned above?
Thanks for reading this - and even more for answering.
Jens

tt Jun 6th, 2002 01:23 PM

ttt

x Jun 6th, 2002 05:57 PM

adi Jun 17th, 2002 11:50 PM

A good choice for my husband and me was Transfagarasan -Romania Bucarest-Brasov-Fagaras,Bilea cascada,Bilea lac and Vidraru Lake-Posada -Curtea de Arges -Bucarest.<BR>Bilea Lac -frozen morning but , the rest of the trip excelent.<BR>Frindly people at Cota 2000m and Vidraru Lake.

Kat Jun 18th, 2002 09:18 AM

I don't suggest Greece although it is a beautiful country. The roads aren't paved very well, the hills are steep and drivers will kill you!

julie Jun 18th, 2002 10:52 AM

We visited Romania last year and absolutely loved it. We had a car though and I am trying to think about how the biking would be. You certainly wouldn't want to go into the larger cities though. the countryside was beautiful but very hilly and moutainous in some areas. The Romanians have not figured out how to dispose of their trash and the beautiful countryside was littered with trash which disappointed us. The people couldn't have been friendlier. The tourist infrastructure is just starting to develop and nothing like the western countries or even neighboring Hungary. Food--nothing particularly interesting as far as we could tell. Prices for lodging were incredibly cheap. <BR>Grocery stores were very poorly stocked with hardly anything available. This was probably the worst diet we have had on any trip, but we didn't go for the food.