Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Bicycling from Vienna to heurigen? Melk?
Notices

Bicycling from Vienna to heurigen? Melk?

Aug 15th, 2014, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Bicycling from Vienna to heurigen? Melk?

We will be in Vienna for 5 days (from this Sunday) and i thought a nice change would be to bicycle *on our own* to some points of interest outside the city, particularly one of the heurigen areas (hopefully less-touristed, e.g., perhaps not in Grinzing) and Melk... but I'm struggling to find information on how one might do this. I see there are bike rentals and tours but with all the paths in the city I was hoping we could manage on our own (we tend to avoid tours/tour groups as we like to keep our own schedule, etc.).

Would love some guidance on if this is a reasonable option, that is, the ride isn't too arduous or long (we are very fit but will be in decent 'street' clothes and don't particularly want to be offensive to others!) and if so, the routes we would take (directions/which paths to take and their respective access points). We are staying near Stephansdom.

Thank you in advance for suggestions!
Aug 15th, 2014, 05:44 AM

http://www.fahrradwien.at/routenplaner/

Just click on the map for start and end point or insert adress.

Wien - Melk is 112 km according to Google maps...
Aug 15th, 2014, 06:48 AM

Aren't all the heurigen very uphill from Vienna? We went by tram/streetcar and I seem to remember it being very hilly. A struggle up and then a "woozy" downhill!

~Liz
Aug 15th, 2014, 06:51 AM

Forgot to mention: we took the train to Melk, and rented bikes there to ride along a Danube for a few hours, returning to Melk to catch the train back to Vienna, and enjoyed our day.

Search this Thread