Bicycles on trains in France

Old May 26th, 1998, 08:27 AM
Richard

Bicycles on trains in France

I'm looking for information re transporting our bikes on trains in France. We're familiar with the process in Germany and Austria, is France similar, i.e. a bicycle car and reservations required. How do we get the bikes from the airport (not sure if it will be CDG or ORY) to the train station? Is there a difference if it's a local or long distance train, we arrive Paris and are taking the train to Bordeaux. Thanks for any help.

Old May 28th, 1998, 10:25 AM
Christina

I'm not an expert on this issue, but since no one
else has responded, I'll tell you the little I know.
First, you can transport bikes free on TGV and
Corail trains in France w/o problem as long as they
are dissembled in a special bike bag (front wheel
off) -- there are special places for them in racks at
the front and rear of the train cars. If you are
planning on having an assembled bike, I don't know
about that or if it's possible -- I think it is allowed
only on certain trains at certain times, but I don't
know specifics. You can get right on the TGV
train to Bordeaux at CDG airport--there is now a
station there. I don't know what you'll do if you
go into Orly, but I assume you should have the
bike dissembled and then get a cab to take you
from Orly to Montparnasse train station where the
TGV leaves for Bordeaux. There is a special
bicycling WEB site that I think has a bulletin board
and you can prob. get better info from those folks,
it's at www.cycling.org

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 10:25 PM
Tony Maguire

I cannot answer your question. However, I am travelling through Austria and possibly germany via bike in August. Do you have any suggestions?

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 06:37 AM
Richard

Tony, In Austria we biked from Krimml, down the Salzach to Passau (with a couple of days basing in Werfen) and then east along the Danube to our base in Melk. In Germany our first tour was the Romantic Road, from Heidelberg to Fussen. 2nd tour was from Titisee in the Black Forest down the Rhine to Koblenz, up the Mosel to Trier and then on to Luxembourg. Feel free to email if you have specific questions. Both Germany and especially Austria are great for cycling.

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 05:26 AM
steve

Tony - are you looking for cycling advise for those countries or bikes on trains advice? You might get a better response if you post your own message. Bikes can be taken as baggage on Germand trains if there is a baggage car. Once I watied for three other trains to depart before such a train came along. I'm not sure about taking on the same train in AUstria - both times I was there, I sent mine ahead.

Germany is very good for cycling. If you go, get the excellent cycling maps that are sold. You might try the Cycletouring club in England - they have a website