Bicycle Races in Europe

Search

Bicycle Races in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bicycle Races in Europe

Is anyone aware of any tour companies that cover the bicycle races in Europe? I have found companies where you ride but none where they take you to the races. All help is greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Like this?

www.sportingtours.co.uk
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 12:05 PM

We did the Tour De France in July of 2004 on our own, fairly simple, just find the starting town, ending town, or mountain pass you want to go to, go early (before 9:00 AM) and park on the side of the road if it's a mountain pass, if it's a start or finish get to the town, park and stake your place with people. Lots of fun!
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 12:22 PM

<<< or mountain pass you want to go to, go early (before 9:00 AM) and park on the side of the road if it's a mountain pass, >>>

On some of the major Alpine stages "going early" means arriving several days in advance
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 12:34 PM

We picked the stage 17 which had 5 mountain passes, we picked the 2nd to the last mountain and had no issue driving up and parking on the side, it was about 10:00 am by the time we parked. Depends which mountain you choose, if it's alpdhuez, then days in advance...
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 02:00 PM

I can't imagine how this would work as an organized tour, or why one would pay money for it. I've "seen" the Tour de France a few times, and it just involves getting to some spot a few hours before the riders are scheduled to come by, sitting around preferably with a picnic and some wine, and then getting all nutso for the 10 seconds or so they whiz by and raise a lot of dust.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 05:03 PM

Last July I rode 7 days in the Pyrenees during the TdF. My experience was such that I will definitely return. The bicycle tour company Adventure Travel Group, out of San Diego (Gary & Lise) were exceptional guides. The hotel accomodations were excellent as was the food, bike routes, etc. If your going to ride in Europe and see bike races I think going through a tour company is the way to go. Logistics arrangements alone will occupy quite a bit of your planning and actual time in country. Why not let others do this work for you? You can find more about ATG at [email protected]. They just sent out there Europe bike trip itinerary - it looks great. Tell Gary and Lise their friend from Jacksonville says hello!