Biarritz vs. St.Jean de Luz

Nov 18th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Biarritz vs. St.Jean de Luz

We (2 couples, no kids) will be in southwestern France in early June 2006. We will have a rental car. We are trying to decide where to stay for 2 nights -- Biarritz or St. Jean de Luz. We like what we read about each one (and will definitely visit both), but can't decide where to actually stay. Please provide advice on which city (and your hotel recommendation in that city -- we can spend up to about 300 Euro). Thanks.
Nov 18th, 2005, 04:36 PM

Hi Noussa:

I was in the area last year in July and I really loved it; particularly in-land in the Basque mountains.

I had the same dilemma and finally chose St. Jean du Luz for three days. I stayed at La Reserve, just on the outskirts of the town. The setting was lovely, beautiful gardens by the sea, the rooms were sparse, but nicely decorated, the food was OK, nothing spectacular. Although I would recommend this place for families, I think you would be better off in the town itself. http://www.chateauxethotels.com/publ...ex.php?id=2333

One place I was interested in in St. Jean du Luz was the Parc Victoria, a Relais et Chateau property:
http://parcvictoria.esds.com/hotel_en.html

I was glad I chose St. Jean du Luz over Biarritz; although I also loved Biarritz, it was a bit more crowded and stressful. I was considering the Clair de Lune there:
http://www.chateauxethotels.com/publ...ndex.php?id=63

After my few days in St. Jean du Luz, I drove into the mountains to the Hotel Ithurria in Ainhoa:
http://www.chateauxethotels.com/publ...index.php?id=6

I absolutely adored this place and if you are after true peace and quiet and excellent walks and drives, give this place some consideration. The food at the inn was simply sensational!

Good luck with your choice.

Regards Ger
Nov 18th, 2005, 04:41 PM

We stayed at the Ithurria, and loved everything about it. It's a beautiful little village.
Nov 18th, 2005, 04:44 PM

P'S. We had a lovely dinner at Parc Victoria. They were booked so we didn't stay overnight. It has one of the most beautiful car parks we have ever seen.
Nov 18th, 2005, 04:50 PM

I would pick St--Jean-de-Luz in a heartbeat, especially for a visitor with a car. It's a tenth the size of Biarritz and has a much lovelier small-town atmosphere. Can't help you with hotel because we drove there on the spur of the moment and ended up at a so-so place right near the beach, but not a place I'd recommend. It's a wonderful town. Do visit Biarritz, but I think you'll be much happier staying in St-JdL.
Nov 18th, 2005, 05:02 PM

St Jean de Luz is a wonderful little town, one of my favorite places to visit. This past summer we returned for a 4 night stay, going in and out by train.

Is this 300€ for each couple? If so you can stay at the Grand Hotel, which is right on the promenade and the beach. If not, I would pick a hotel that is in town. There are numerous good restaurants, with the kind of convivial atmosphere you would expect in a resort town like this. We stay at the Grand Hotel because we like the location and the amenities, but we never take meals there.
Jan 18th, 2007, 06:00 PM

St Jean du Luz wins hands down. Check out the hotle La Marisa, smalll almost boutique like - and a grest owner/staff who speaks English perfectly.

And yes, Cigal - what's up with that car park? It's cleaner than my house and teh music is better too..... seafox
Jan 18th, 2007, 08:18 PM

By the way, our favorite restaurant is La Portua on rue Republique, Anna and Alan the charming hosts.