Search

BEWARE the 16-Euro Ice Cream Cone in Rome

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2013, 08:40 AM
GAC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEWARE the 16-Euro Ice Cream Cone in Rome

Don't buy ice cream in the tourist areas of Rome unless you INQUIRE about the price first. These British Tourists paid 64 Euros for 4 ice cream cones (take-away, not consumed on premises) from a vendor near Piazza di Spagna:

http://roma.corriere.it/roma/notizie...94047290.shtml
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:17 AM

What kind of cones? Oh triple cones with double wafers!!!

Of course one should always look at prices before buying - esp in heavily touristed areas.

But for a gigantic cone how much does one expect to pay?
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:22 AM

Reminds me of my 10E coffee. Cold, wet, rainy day, with a view of Notre Dame? At that moment 10E's was just fine..
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:30 AM

When in Rome .... caveat emptor!
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:03 AM

Well, since a single scoop is usually around 4-5 euros, why wouldn't a triple one with two wafers cost a few times that?

They were dumb not to ask, but it doesn't seem too far out of line to me.
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:21 AM

I read in Roma Corriere: each cone 7 etto gelato; in other words, each cone 700g or something like over 1.5 pounds of ice cream.Not cheap but extremely big!
Old May 6th, 2013, 03:13 PM

Italians don't seem to think those prices are normal. Here are the Tripadvisor reviews of the gelateria mentioned by the articles. It's the same one:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...ome_Lazio.html
Old May 6th, 2013, 03:15 PM

Here is the link re-posted so that the Italian reviews appear first (if you don't speak Italian, "ladri" means "thieves". It's a useful word to know!)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...ome_Lazio.html
Old May 6th, 2013, 03:17 PM

Sounds just like an 8GBP frappacino at Starbucks in London!! Caveat emptor!!
Old May 6th, 2013, 07:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Look out for your luggage too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22397267#
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:58 PM

Alternative in Rome for gelato, Blue Ice near the Vatican. Friendly, good and reasonable.
Old May 7th, 2013, 07:25 AM

Litefoot: right on target!!! Blue Ice is really good, any location.In our last visit to Rome we went daily to the one near Trevi.
Old May 7th, 2013, 07:51 AM

YOu do always get some economy in pricing for a triple scoop cone over a single scoop in any place I've seen in Europe. They are a much better deal. So I don't think it would be reasonable to say if one scoop costs 4-5 euro (which it usually doesn't more like 2-3), a triple scoop should cost 3 times that. It does seem incredibly out of line to me, but it is hard to tell what they actually bought. Some special concoctions that we call "sundaes" in the US can run around 10 euro in lots of places.

BUt some people shouldn't be allowed to leave home if they don't read the prices before they buy something. Hard to tell from that article and photos, but any take-out ice cream shop I've ever seen had a price list posted.

Some of those complaints on Tripadvisor are, as usual, bogus. Like someone complaining because the price for an espresso is only a couple euro at the bar but more on the terrace, and since they bought it at the bar and moved to the terrace themself, they didn't think they should pay it. Ignorant tourists like that irritate me.
Old May 7th, 2013, 06:24 PM

I love the Guardian newspaper in the UK.

They actually sent out a reporter to test these claims that what the tourists in Rome paid for gelato is normal, typical, not out of line -- and that anybody imagining otherwise is an unseasoned tourist.

As many would have predicted, the Guardian didn't find any body in London exploiting tourists like the gelateria in Rome did.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...ound-ice-cream

There are hucksters in tourist destinations exploiting tourists who are trying to be polite "guests" rather than the ugly tourists everybody hates.

Some of you need to adjust your attitude that the tourist is always at fault, or that what happend to the British tourists is normal these days. There is lots of testimony, including from Italians, that these people scammed trustworthy people and ought to be shut down. I've found the same scams in New York City, and I am grateful when people don't try to sweep it under the rug but instead blow the whistle. Europe is a fun travel destination, but it is not beyond criticism. Doesn't need the rah-rah excusers.
Old May 8th, 2013, 12:47 AM

I have to agree with stevewith on this one and, as it turns out, one of Rome's city councillors (Matteo Costantini) who describes the charges as "a scandal and it should be treated as such".

All you lovely people blaming "dumb" or "ignorant" tourists are really missing the point. Places still have to be charging these prices in order to snare the tourists.

I suppose this Japanese couple were to blame for their €700 lunch in Rome a few years ago as well;

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/...56147J20090702

In this instance, the restaurant was shut down by the relevant authorities.
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
when I was in Tuscany a couple of years ago, there was a big splash in the local paper about the €17.50 gelato that some tourists had bought in Florence, complete with picture of this massive cone with loads of different flavours etc.

When i got to Florence, i found a little gelateria round the back of the San Ambroglio market where I got 2 flavours [and a sit down on a plastic stool] for €1.50.
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:21 AM

We didn't see exactly what they bought. Obviously, they were not ice cream cones. they may have been sundaes - or ???

When I was child there was an ice cream parlor that specialized in giant concoctions. One was called the kitchen sink - and had everything else but. I recall that it cost $6 - which now would be probably $25 or so. but it was enough for 6 kids to share.

However, the key is that prices are posted. So - if you're not sure - ask before buying.
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:40 AM

Only the Jahn's located at 81–04 37th Avenue in Jackson Heights, Queens is still operating

and

The 2012 menu still boasts The Kitchen Sink that will feed eight and costs $51.95
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:37 AM

Any time I've ordered a gelato in Rome (and I've had my fair share) you pay first then hand your ticket to the 'scooper'.
If the price seems obscene to you then WHY would you continue to pay, eat your treat and then cry foul????
There will always be some "huckster" that will try to take advantage of the unsuspecting tourist, but as Christina said above, "there are some people who shouldn't be allowed to leave home..." (thanks for the laugh!)
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:36 AM

I just want to add that the next time anyone wants to pay someone to test gelato prices, I'd like to apply for the job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -