I really need some help-I am about to give up

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please, Please someone help me. I was born and raised in Puerto Rico and moved to the states 5 years ago. So every vacation I have taken has been to go back home. But my Husband and I are finally going somewhere else and we are planning to go to Greece. So I have bought like 10 books, including the 800 page book by Fodor's and now I am more confused than ever. Where do we go, what do we see. You guys all seem so well traveled that I thought maybe you could help me. We are going for 15 days. We are both very interested in the historical sites, you know the once in a lifetime things. I do not want to spend all my time staring at pictures in museums but I want to go to places and see buildings and experience the history of the Gods. We are also avid divers so we are interested in diving but there are so many islands that we don't know which one to go diving at or which one to go see. We are not interested in going out clubing and dancing but mostly experiencing Greece. Also I would love to go to a "pub" and drink with the people of greece and get to ask them about the history and the Turks and find out how they really feel about Americans and such. I know I am asking a lot, but I would appreciate if some of you could please direct me as it is my first vacation. Thank you.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:29 PM

Welcome to Fodor's, kit! You're going to be a great traveler, because you're asking some very good questions. BUT...you need to repost your question with a title that will encourage people who know Greece want to respond, and your current title doesn't do that. How about something like, "First trip to Greece, please help me plan," or something comparable. I've never been to Greece, so I'd be no help at all.

By the way, when you come back to the board to try to find the responses to your post, just click on your user name way up at the top of the page, next to the word Welcome. All your posts will appear on the left-hand side of the screen. Fodor's neglects to tell you this.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:58 PM

Please don't give up! You are about to have a fabulous experience, if you just do some planning and research, and with a tiny bit of luck . I have not been to Greece, but from my other travel experiences, I would recommend that you take a few guided walking tours, in English or Spanish, of course, when you arrive at various points in Greece or the islands. You can find references in your Fodor's guide or your concierge at the hotel would be happy to help you book them.

I hope you include Santorini, my personal dream..... There are many older threads on this forum that make recommendations on Greece. Do a search on "Greek Isles" or "Greece itinerary", etc

Most of all enjoy the planning. Anticipation is everything, and of course, enjoy the trip!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 04:23 AM

Don't you dare give up. When I traveled to Edinburgh alone earlier this year, I looked like a seasoned pro when I left the airport and headed to the taxis...because a Fodorite had already told me exactly where to go.

We are not all seasoned travelers. If you read enough posts, you'll see the entire range from novice to If-it's-Tuesday-I-must-be-in- (Fill in the Blank) old pros.

Just ask. We'll help. (I haven't been to Greece or I would give you some pointers right now.)I do agree with Betsy re: giving your post a different title. Also, easier for folks to read if you'll break your post into separated paragraphs.

You're going to have a wonderful time. Start anticipating!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 04:46 AM
rex

kitka... HAS re-posted with a better message header... better to put replies <i>there</i> (IMO)...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34668984

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 06:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
But Rex, I want to say kind words of encouragement to Kitkatuga but don't know a thing about Greece!

I have felt that overwhelming sensation of too many guidebooks and too much information from the internet when planning for a place you have never been. But know in your heart you CAN take a trip with only your passport, money, plane ticket, and heck throw in a couple hotel reservations... and figure out the rest after you arrive. I'm not saying this is the best way, or good for everyone, but you CAN get to Greece (or most anywhere else at least in Europe) with very little planning.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 07:15 AM
rex

See the other post... the same sense of needing encouragement is evident in the text of the message there.

Ad your same message there, and let this one fade to thew bottom.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 10:05 AM

6 postings but not much in the way of useful suggestions. What's up with that?

Kitkatuga, you can overload your brain with too much guidebook information. Take it slowly and methodically. Do your guidebook research by island group until you find what group interests you then focus on that for your final plans.

Obviously there are historical sites all over Greece. For a great overview of art and architecture, the National Archaeological Museum in Athens is fantastic. Of course the Parthenon on the Acropolis is a 'must.' Meteora and Delphi on the mainland are very popular. Santorini Island has Akrotiri, one of the most important 'digs' in Greece. Crete has the Palace of Knossos and a smaller, but still significant, Archaeological Museum in Heraklion. Epidaurus on the mainland is also a major archaeological site. The Cyclades islands are probably the most popular island group with much to offer everyone, but the Dodecanese islands also have much to offer and are close together for easy hopping. Hopefully others will chime in with other suggestions. Travelling by ferry is the cheapest way to get around the islands. If you go to the island of Samos you can take a day tour into Turkey to see the amazing archaeological site at Ephesus. Finding a 'pub' (called a Taverna in Greece) isn't a problem, they're everywhere. Just look for where the Greeks hang out and you'll be there. Sorry, I don't know much about what's available for divers other than there's an ancient shipwreck nearby to Santorini that's available to divers.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Touche' brotherleelove, but I was just trying to keep her from abandoning the idea altogether
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 01:35 PM

At least you offered some general advice along with encouragement.

P.S. I hope you make it to Santorini someday, it's amazing!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 02:31 PM

Kit -- I'd go ahead and put down that 12-pound book you have and think for a moment what kind of things you want to see. I don't know what time of year you're going, and that can seriously impact how much island time you want.

I'd spend 3 nights in Athens, stay at the Attalos Hotel in the Plaka area, just uphill from the Montasaraki subway stop. $100/night for a double, with rooftop bar that sells you $3 beers and overlooks the Acropolis.

While in town, eat dinner in the Plaka (there isn't a bad Greek restaurant that I could find), shop there, go up the Acropolis, see the Parthenon, Temple of Nike, and enjoy the view (go early in the day).

Go up Mt. Lycobettus another day...there's a funicular/elevator thing for the last 200 feet and a nice walk through the neighborhoods of Athens to get there. See Syntagma square, the changing of the guard, and wander around the neighborhoods there.

OK, now that your few days in Athens are over, head on over to the Peloponnesian peninsula. I'd spend 3-4 days there...Sparta and a number of other historical cities are there. Maybe book a tour.

Off to Pireaus, Athens port--hop a ferry to an island. I'd suggest getting online and checking Hellas and other ferry lines for schedules and costs. Depending on when you go, you don't have to book hotels up -- just island hop and negotiate with the people at the ferry for a price to stay in their homes or hotels. Just make sure you get back to Athens in time for your trip home.

That's all the advice I can give...I've been to Greece -- spent a few days in Athens, then headed for Samos Island before continuing on to Turkey. Santorini, Mykonos and Patmos are some popular islands to see.

Good luck, have fun, and don't worry to much. The Greeks are a fun bunch and will help you have a good time once you get there!

Jules
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
&lt;6 postings but not much in the way of useful suggestions.&gt; thanks a bunch brotherleelove. the poster expressed frustration and we gave encouragement.

&lt;Ad your same message there, and let this one fade to thew bottom.&gt; Jeeez rex.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 03:15 AM

Hi Kitkatuga, Greece is both a culture destination and summer holidays
one...Its up to you to chose where to go and what to do...
There is an island that you can do both...santorini....2nd most chosen in a world level....visit www. santorini-culture.gr to scedule your own trip...
This is a starting point , if you need to take a real culture tour since this is a prehistoric site...
Myconos or Crete also must be mentioned for both kind of holidays...
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 12:07 PM

My two cents...
For partying and clubbing, go to Mykonos.

For relaxing and experiencing idyllic island life, go to Hydra. (If I could go back to one place in Greece, it would be Hydra)

For sightseeing and ancient sites, go to the Peloponnese - Epidaurus, Ancient Corinth, Mycenea, Meteora, Olympia.

You have 15 days, but don't over do it. Pick 3 places max. and stay put in each for some time. I moved around too much on my trip and it was exhausting.

People may shred me for this, but I suggest picking one island only - I went to 6 and while there were some differences, they're pretty much all the same.

Don't stay in Athens for more than a few days - it will drain you. And don't do it at the end of your trip.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 12:36 PM

For what it's worth from our own visit (as older travelers)...

Athens is worse than San Juan in terms of traffic and noise. But it does have the Parthenon just as there is Old San Jaun worth a visit. Greece has a special historical charm for sure.

Mycenae, Corinth, Epidaurus, Knossis, and Delphi certainly highlight the history...and in Delphi there is a sense of the divine (I did a special study on that). I agree that the museums in Herklion and Athens are worthwhile for ancient history.

Many islands have lovely beaches, maybe a bit better than Luquillo or Joyuda, and likely you can find snorkeling or windsurfing like at Cabo Rojo. Nothing like Parguera with its &quot;flashing waters.&quot;

No place equals El Yunque, but Greece is a different climate, more sunny and arid. Some mountainous areas may remind you of Jayuya or Caguas. There are lots of unique spots like Ponce to search out.

Good luck...
ozarksbill
[email protected]