Beware of gypsies in Rome!

Mar 20th, 2001, 11:54 PM
Amanda

Beware of gypsies in Rome!

I know most of us had heard many stories about the gypsies in Rome. I just came back from Rome not 2 long ago, and had encountered with the gypsies twice on the bus. Once was a little gurl who walked next to me as I was sitting, and I felt her hands touching my pockets...but she quickly walked away as I moved. Second time was a mother, and I have noticed that the babies that they carry r FAKE!! The bus was really crowded, and a few gypsie lady came on the bus. One was right next in front of me, she had one hand out pretend to be holding on to the baby...and I noticed that her other hand...which was covered by the baby was actually the hand that steals! It was hidden underneath at the bottom of the baby so she can reach her hand into someone elses bag...which she tried to reach into my bag...but thank god I had locks on it. So if anyone is going to Rome....beware!

Mar 21st, 2001, 12:59 AM
Sheila

Warninggs should be well taken, but PLEASE beware of thieves. NOT gypsies

Mar 21st, 2001, 06:20 AM
Dave

I almost had my pocket picked in the center of Philadlephia. You have to be careful everywhere.

Mar 21st, 2001, 11:07 AM
xxx

I hear the bus that ends it's route at the Vatican is particularly rife with thieves. Take the subway instead and watch yourself. Pickpocketing is a problem in Rome,, but if you're aware of thieves (dirty ragged kids or teenagers mostly) and watch them like a hawk they know the jig is up and will likely look around for an easier target.

Mar 21st, 2001, 11:47 AM
Capo

I was just reading in Rick Steves' Rome book last night that some of the most successful pickpockets in Rome look like well-dressed businessmen.

Search this Thread