Reload this Page >

Day trip to Giverny

Search

Day trip to Giverny

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 11:39 AM
TZadra

Day trip to Giverny

We will be on Paris the last week in June and are thinking about a day trip to Giverny. Is this worth giving up a whole day in Paris? We thought about going there on the way out of Paris but we probably will head south by train to Orleans instead. Any thoughts on another route that we could do both without losing a day in Paris.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Rex

If you're in Paris for a whole week I would not only give up a day, I would give up a night - - or even two - - for Giverny, for Chartres, for Versailles. Admittedly, you don't have to leave Paris for any of these three - - but I love escaping from the city to these places. <BR> <BR>And though I have never actually stayed here - - let me suggest www.chateaudejonvilliers.com as a new base. Depending on what you are paying for lodging in Paris, the savings of moving might be substantial enough to pay for much (if not all) of the cost of a car rental (for three days - - I'm not proposing that you have the car IN Paris). <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Lesli

Giverny is beautiful, and should be especially lovely in late June. However, only you can decide how important it is to you to see it, and how it fits into your itinerary. We stopped there on our way north from Paris to Honfleur last trip, so it was on our way. <BR> <BR>How many days do you have in Paris?

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 12:09 PM
greg

You do not have to give up a whole day to go to Giverny even with a train. We carefully studied the train schedule, took the first practical train out of St. Lazare, around 8am, spent perhaps 2hrs at Monet's garden (presuming that is where you are going.) and back to Paris before 2pm. You'll immediately have to find a taxi as soon as you get off the train at Vernon and also get a taxi to get back to the station after the visit. While buses are cheaper, you will 1.wait more at Vernon station, 2. wait longer time at entrace ticket office at Monet's garden since the line builts up VERY quickly. We would have regretted not staying there longer had it not been the mass of tour buses. After visiting the house and the garden, there were so many tourists in the garden and we did not care to stay there any longer.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Rex

While it is true that Monet's house and the gardens are the chief attraction in Giverny, the American museum is a worthwhile diversion, and can give you the opportunity to lean about the major cross-fertilization that occurred as Impression caught up devotees from "this side of the pond" who went to France to become part of it. <BR> <BR>And if you do have a car, you can be in Les Andelys to see the Castle Gaillard (ruins) in about 25 minutes from Giverny. <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Patrick

The last time we went to Giverny, we rented a car in Paris for the day, leaving fairly early to beat the traffic (about 8 AM). The four of us drove directly to Giverny, arriving before it opened and having a wonderful little "breakfast" in the garden across the road. We toured the house and gardens, left there and drove to Honfleur for a nice stroll and lunch on the harbour. We then did a scenic drive and walk out near Etratat. Drove back to the charming little town of Pont Audemer with its medieval houses on little canals. Had coffee and pastries on the square. Arrived back in Paris about 8:30 in the evening. It was a spectacular day!!

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 10:30 AM
elaine

TZadra <BR>All I can say is that yes it is worth it as long as you are an admirer of <BR>impressionist art, especially Monet. <BR>I have been to Giverny twice, will no doubt go several times in the future, but for me it is like making a pilgrimage. I love the art that was inspired by that particular setting, and June is the perfect time to see it. <BR>If it is just a matter of having a day out of Paris, or even seeing a beautiful garden, you have many other options. <BR>