Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Beware in Barcelona - you may be photographed

Beware in Barcelona - you may be photographed

Sep 7th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Beware in Barcelona - you may be photographed

From The Times September 5, 2009

La Rambla: from Spain's tourist haven to street of shame

Photographs of tourists having sex with prostitutes - in full view of passers-by - provoke fresh demands for a crackdown in Barcelona

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/tra...cle6822120.ece
Sep 7th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Another good reason not to walk on las Ramblas. Even without this disgusting spectacle I have never seen the attraction of walking among a sea of humanity pushing and shoving you.
Sep 7th, 2009, 02:29 PM

I have a link from EL País, someone sent me...photos are very graphic so I cannot add them here.
Sep 7th, 2009, 02:42 PM

Seems after all the negative attention that Barcelona received in the national/international press someone has ordered the police to patrol the area constantly, so I wouldn't doubt this is the safest time to be strolling the Ramblas, no matter what your intentions.

This is a nationwide problem. Just another one of the vague loopholes in the "laws" that are or are not made to be followed. Neighbors had been complaing for YEARS about this.. to deaf ears.. but when the popular El Pais paper put this on the front page, action was taken within hours.

A shame that is how it goes. Taxpayers', store owners' and neighbors' rights/opinions mean nothing sometimes.

Of course, the guys and dolls have just moved to another neighborhood and are requesting secure places where they can do their "dignified job", as they say. A talk show even interviewed prostitutes to tell their side of their dilema and listen to their work condition demands.

I am surprised they didn't invite the tax evading mafia pimps also.. or .. maybe they did..
Sep 7th, 2009, 03:06 PM

Someone sent me... Me too!
Laws and the implementation of laws. That is the question.
Sep 8th, 2009, 12:33 AM

In Galicia I personally have not seen the "actions"of the women. I have seen "clubs" which I first thought were discos, placed in the middle of no where for some odd reason. That is until one of my guests informed me what is what.
On forums I have only ever seen "complaints" about this sort of thing in BCN and Madrid.
Sep 8th, 2009, 03:19 AM

When I first read this post's title, I initially thought "I didn't know kerouac had moved..."
Sep 9th, 2009, 08:54 AM

haha. I thought the same thing, Jay.
Sep 9th, 2009, 09:20 AM

Great minds Pat...

Search this Thread