Beware high crime in London

Aug 22nd, 2002, 07:31 AM
Taylor

Beware high crime in London

Columnist/socialite/billionaire writer Taki in the Spectator announces, "a person's chances of being mugged in London and other major cities is six times higher than in the Big Bagel (New York)...". BBC has just announced that eight black men in London gangraped two women at gunpoint. They were abducted at Wembley and were driven to Wembley where they were raped. Watch out. The average Briton is not used to this sort of savagery and it might take a while for them to adapt. Tourists should beware where they go in London and expect all English cities to be much different when it comes to violent crime than it was only a decade or so ago.

Aug 22nd, 2002, 07:39 AM
Eagleclaw

Much of it is where you go, my friends. I’d still rather walk through the East End on any given moonless night than in mainstream Detroit, Atlanta, Washington D.C., St. Louis, yadda-yadda.

Besides, the English have a strange propensity, that once a criminal is caught, tried, and sentenced, of actually putting them away. Often for a very long time.

Of course in the States a “life sentence” averages out to 7-14 years.

Aug 22nd, 2002, 08:09 AM
Taylor

Just wanted a warning. Many American tourists pretty much think all of England is similar to what they see on Masterpiece Theatre, you know, those Judy Dench type of shows.

Aug 22nd, 2002, 08:17 AM
xxx

Eagleclaw, Americans have a strange propensity too. That propensity is putting people, thousands of them, away for a very long time for non-violent offenses like using drugs. Right now, about one-quarter of all U.S. federal prisoners are in for drug-related offenses and, thanks to mandatory sentencing which ties the hand of judges (leaving them frustratingly incapable of judging), many of them have sentences greater than people who rape or commit other violent crimes

Aug 22nd, 2002, 08:26 AM
Kate

I am a tiny little thing, no bigger than a man's thumb, and I have some
very ungentlemanly male friends.
Consequently, I frequently find myself having to go home alone from the centre of London to Paddington - or from South London to Paddington, or North London to Paddington. I am never frightened, and no one ever hassles me. Of course I'm sensible. I don't use cashpoints in deserted areas in the middle of the night. I walk in the middle of residential streets rather than along the pavement behind parked cars. And I don't walk fearfully, I strut. But travelling alone in France or Italy I get stared at far more, which can be frightening. You have no more
to worry about in London than anywhere else. I'd be more frightened in little out of town villages where there's no one around. London's a busy place.

Aug 22nd, 2002, 08:37 AM
Thyra

So, I live in Los Angeles.. scare me I dare you.

Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:12 AM
somePerspective

London has maybe 10 million people and a rape makes the national news????

In the States you would need to kidnap, torture and kill a 9 year old to make the national news.

There are more rapes in Los Angeles in a month than there are in London in a year.

Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:18 AM
Sad

That's pretty sad that 'somePerspective' is reather jaded by rape, and I'm really glad I don't live in LA.

Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:27 AM
Filo

Have you ever been to L. A.? Dante’s inferno in real time. To paraphrase Mark Twain, if I owned hell and Los Angeles I’d live in hell and rent L. A. out.

I have a friend in Belfast who gets so agitated when the first thing out of an American’s mouth is, “Gee, aren’t you afraid of the violence?”

More people were murdered in D. C. last month than in the last year in Belfast, perhaps in all of Ireland.

Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:30 AM
xxx

Taylor, you mention that "a person's chances of being mugged in London and other major cities is six times higher than in the Big Bagel (New York)..." and then peculiarly segue into a gangrape. While muggings are not to be taken lightly, they are, in my opinion, a far cry from being raped or murdered, two very violent crimes which I think are far more likely to happen to a person in the U.S. than in Britain.

Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:30 AM
Janene

Bear in mind that the safety factor in NYC is a fairly recent occurrence. Most of us attribute it to Rudy. On the other hand Oprah and Rosie (among many other liberals) referred to his policies as “nazi tactics.”

Some people will just never get it.

Aug 22nd, 2002, 01:33 PM
xx

I think someone's been reading the Caribbean forum ....

Aug 22nd, 2002, 01:57 PM
ooo

yup...someone had top make it a conservative vs liberal argument. Thanks for pointing out that there is an idiot in every crowd janene.

Aug 22nd, 2002, 02:06 PM
Jim Rosenberg

In discussing the crime level in Rio de Janeiro with a driver we hired last week, he explained that it was a function of having a lot of visitors who often aren't very careful and a lot of people who exploit that fact. He also told me that he had been robbed and so had his wife. His incident occurred in Paris at the airport and his wife had been robbed in London on the tube. People tend to be less afraid of the devils they know, I think.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 07:14 AM
PatrickW

I doubt you will find anyone who takes Taki seriously as an accurate source of information on anything other than this own prejudices - certainly not as a dispassionate collector and analyst of genuine statistics.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 07:21 AM
david west

this is a bit rich from Taki (aka Takalotofcokeolous) who is himself an ex jailbird.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 07:21 AM
Rita

Ooo thinks Janene is an Idiot…talk about the pot calling the kettle “black”.

Truth hurts that bad, huh, that you have to call someone an idiot? You are just so sad.

I’m among many New Yorkers who thank god that Rudy to a stand against the whiney-ass liberals like Rosy “I’m god” O. Nazi tactics or whatever, it took 8 long years but New York City is likely safer than it’s ever been and it sure as hell isn’t because of people like ooo, Rosie, or Oprah.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:39 PM
Ann Coulter

Rita,
I hear Fox is interested in hiring you, you sure sound like one of us. Keep in touch.
Ann