Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bevagna UMBRIA: Hotels sold out. What to do? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bevagna-umbria-hotels-sold-out-what-to-do-955130/)

2010 Oct 30th, 2012 06:36 AM

Bevagna UMBRIA: Hotels sold out. What to do?

We are planning 4 nights in Bevagna in September 2013. Our first hotel choice is sold out for our dates. Our second choice can accommodate us all but one night. There's a third choice but it's not preferred. Looks like a convention has descended upon our little town. Do we even want to be here?

Should we be looking at another place to stay? Any suggestions for a town: one that's somewhat flat, has easy access (in & out) for daytrips with a car, has good restaurant choices? Recommendations for hotels (under 150€)?

Thanks!

bobthenavigator Oct 30th, 2012 07:00 AM

Look at Genius Loci---special place.

However, I hope you are not trusting an online system---I assume you have direct info from the hotel.

tower Oct 30th, 2012 07:07 AM

2010: Why not give Perugia a shot...we faced the somewhat same dilemma a few years ago and finally booked the Hotel Fortuna on Perugia's top deck. Loved it...we did more than a few day trips and had no problems leaving the Partisaner public garage and winding down like a spiral. Once out on the road, we were able to easily drive to Assissi, Spello, Bevagna, Montefalco and Spoleto. Certainly a lot more to do at night in Perugia, excellent dining choices and a lively town. (Their system of elevators and escalators is something to behold).
stu

tower Oct 30th, 2012 07:15 AM

https://www.room77.com/hotel-perugia...-b-25084971210

We paid under 150 euros two years ago.

Rubicund Oct 30th, 2012 07:32 AM

If you're using a booking engine, then when they say that they are sold out it means one of a several things:

They have sold their allocation
They don't book that hotel
The hotel is full

I'd try contacting your first two choices direct and see what they say.

kybourbon Oct 30th, 2012 07:55 AM

It might also mean that the hotel is not taking bookings for next year yet. Many small hotels in Italy might not set next years rates until very late in 2012 or early 2013.

There are a lot of small towns within a few miles of Bevagna.

http://www.bed-and-breakfast-in-ital...a&IDregione=18

GAC Oct 30th, 2012 08:00 AM

Will you have a car? Four nights in Bevagna can get "old" after the first night unless you do daytrips to surrounding towns.

Bevagna is absolutely stunning, extremely worthwhile for an overnight stay (or even two nights).

Why not stay one night?

DRJ Oct 30th, 2012 08:25 AM

Take a look at [email protected] for a pleasant stay about 5 km. west of Bevagna. Five apartments, swimming pool, the Herald Tribune and a loaf of bread at your door every morning. Mauro has 700 olive trees and wins nation wide oil competitions regularly. (Of course, Montefalco, with its Sagrantino, is nearby,too.)

2010 Oct 30th, 2012 08:25 AM

Thanks for your quick replies! I am thinking that we may be in competition not only for a room in Bevagna but also for restaurant seats! When we were there in May 2011, one of the charms of the town was that it wasn't too busy. Maybe it is time to consider another base in this area.

Bob: & Rubicund: Yes, I always contact hotels directly for availability & current rates. So, it was disappointing to learn there was no availablity at our hotels of choice.

Bob: Thanks for the recommendation. Genius Loci looks beautiful! We've usually stayed in towns, preferring to dine (and drink!) and walk back to the hotel. Looking at a map, Genius Loci is located between Bevagna & Montefalco. Not far too drive! This is a possibility!

tower: It's a bit of a shift from sleepy Bevagna to vibrant Perugia! We like the position of Perugia. We wondered about the parking situation and how easy it is to come & go. You feel it was not difficult. Good to know! We will check out Perugia & Hotel Fortuna.

Thanks again!

bilboburgler Oct 30th, 2012 09:07 AM

I doubt if they are taking bookings that far out. Send the hotel an email.

2010 Oct 30th, 2012 09:07 AM

I see there were other replies as I was typing my earlier response!

kybourbon: Thanks for the link of B&B's in the area! Very helpful!

GAC: We enjoyed Bevagna by day and by night! It may not be for everyone but we liked it. Also, it was a convenient base for day trips.

DRJ: Thanks for your suggestion! We will check it out!

2010 Oct 30th, 2012 09:13 AM

bilboburgler: I did contact the hotels directly by email. They seemed quite certain that they had 'options' for our dates already and therefore, had no availability. I did ask if there was a cancelation to inform us.

kybourbon Oct 30th, 2012 09:23 AM

The city website has a long list of places to stay. Click on the pdf on this page.

http://www.comune.bevagna.pg.it/Medi...78&explicit=SI

davispeets Oct 30th, 2012 10:27 AM

That hotel was booked for me too!

We never made it to Bevagna, and ended up staying in Spello for 3 nights ( after our 3 night stay at Hotel Fortuna in Perugia). We had two good dinners at Il Pinturicchio in Spello.

We also prefer to be located in town for the same reason.

davispeets Oct 30th, 2012 10:29 AM

Yikes - skipped over the part where you requested somewhere flat!

2010 Oct 30th, 2012 02:00 PM

davispeets: I think Spello is where we 'lost' our car or rather, the parking lot where we parked! Eventually we found it after lots of walking around & around! Phew! Perhaps we will return to Spello on our next trip & go for lunch at Il Pinturiccio! Thanks!

susiedq Oct 30th, 2012 11:00 PM

I second DRJ's suggestion. Please do check out [email protected]
It is lovely and has separate houses and a cottage. There is also a swimming pool. It is very serene. Also,only a short drive to many small towns.

The hosts are wonderful.

hanabilly Oct 31st, 2012 06:54 AM

We just got back from a one week stay at le Casa Gialle, and we also liked it a lot. I would recommend it to anyone. Plus, we felt that the location was super convenient for visiting a LOT of places. However, if you want to be able to walk to restaurants, this wouldn't be the place for you. It is in the country, a short drive to Bastardo or Gualdo Cattaneo, but nothing within walking. We ate our restaurant meals as we were out touring during the day, and ate in at night.

I saw SO many signs for small hotels and B&B's, I wondered how many were listed online. Many of them must book by word of mouth, as I don't recall seeing nearly as many online as I searched while planning.

DRJ Oct 31st, 2012 08:18 AM

I have walked from LCG to Gualdo, but I wouldn't do it after dark.

2010 Oct 31st, 2012 10:25 AM

Thanks for all your suggestions!

We're busy checking things out ... even country inns not located in a town! You've got us thinking outside 'the box'. ;-)

Will report back what we decide to do!