Bevagna Italy/L'Orto degli Angeli???

Mar 21st, 2002, 07:09 PM
charlie

Bevagna Italy/L'Orto degli Angeli???

Been reading too many guidebooks!! Don't even remember where/when I found this place but have it on my list for a few days in Umbria in early May. Anyone familiar with the location? Is it a good location for daytripping? Should I look elsewhere? Thank you!

Mar 22nd, 2002, 05:12 AM
trish

Charlie, we would also like to stay at L'Orto degli Angeli this upcoming October. Like you, I have read many great things about it, so I hope you get some feedback.

Mar 22nd, 2002, 05:43 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Charlie, Have not stayed there but did stop in last fall--looks good to me. The location is hard to beat. Bevagna is an interesting village and well located for all of central Umbria. I would go for it.

Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:17 AM
Topping

ttt

Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:20 PM
Topping

No one ever been?

Mar 23rd, 2002, 04:04 AM
xxx

I'm afraid, charlie & trish, that chances of getting someone on te board with first hand experience are very slim. Besides BOB, who certainly wil be giving it a shot when he'll have an opportunity, there was Donna and a couple other that were interested in the past.

In Umbria and Tuscany there are hundreds of "undiscovered" (by fodorites) properties. And that's the fun of it. You guys have the opportunity to "taste" Orto degli Angeli first, rave about it, and lead other to it in he process. Fro what I could see in the web, there's no chance you may go wrong. With its 9 rooms/suites, it looks very intimate, nice restaurant, a very charming property in the historical center of a very charming medieval Bevagna.

If you have a car, within a circle with a "radius" of 1 hour driving, there are:
Foligno and Montefalco (10min), Spello (15min), Trevi (25min), Assisi, Perugia and Deruta (30min), Todi (40min), Lake Trasimeno (45min), Orvieto, Città di Castello, Amelia, Narni and Terni (1 hour)... Just outside this circle, there are Norcia and Gubbio (1:10 hours), Cascia (1:20) ... Just about all of Umbria!
If you stay there for a couple weeks you won't run out of daytrip options.

If you don't have a car, not much to worry either. There are relatively frequent buses to Foligno and from there, either with the train or bus, on may reach quite a few of the above cities in a reasonable time.

Just go for it ... and report on your return!

Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:02 PM
trish

Thank you all for your help. We were able to book a room at this beautiful spot for October, although they seemed to be almost booked up. We plan on staying four nights. Wish I was there now!!

May 8th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Jane

If you like the sound of church bells every 15 minutes starting at 6am, L'Orto is the place for you......we found it way overpriced for what you get (mediocre service, meager breakfast). On a positive note, the restaurant, L'Orto Degli Angeli was really topnotch! (Would've been better with some place else to sleep afterwards!)

May 23rd, 2003, 01:18 PM

We stayed 4 nights at the Orto the beginning of October. Even though we booked 8 months in advance, the only room available was on the top,(the least expensive room)overlooking the hanging garden. The bed was the hardest bed we've ever tried but the room and bath were agreeable. You MUST sleep with the windows open because it's too hot, but the mosquitos will eat you alive and the church bells are incredibly annoying. The breakfast was a dessert buffet with cakes, bread and some fruit. The hotel staff understands English but few can speak to you. The structure is unique and the town of interest with no green anywhere. You must be in good shape to get to your room up 4 flights of stone stairs with no elevators (they help you carry your bags). The front door remains locked at all times so if you exit, you must ring for someone to open the door again. Parking spaces are at a premium and only a few guests can park near the hotel. One night we were forced to park outside the city gates which made us quite nervous. There is an ATM a few feet from the front door! The best restaurant in Italy is a short walk in town from the Orto called Octavius. Unfortunately, the hotel restaurant was closed the night we chose to dine. We paid $125 per ight and feel it was a good value. Bevagna makes day tripping accessible to Deruta (amazing pottery center), Cortona, Montepulicano, Todi but too far south for Siena, Volterra, Chianti areas. The location is convienent to explore Umbria for a few days then more further north to tour Siena, Chianti region, Volterra and Lucca.
May 23rd, 2003, 07:33 PM

My husband and I also (I was Trish who originally posted a question here last year) stayed here in October. We had a wonderful room (yes the bells did wake us early in the a.m.) We were able to have several dinners in the restaurant, which were excellent. We enjoyed the village of Bervagna - everyone was friendly. We spent four nights at the hotel, our only complaint was, yes, we did have to park outside the gates of the village which was fine, except on one morning when they were having a craft fair/farmers market which we did not know about and we received a parking ticket which we had to pay. (I felt that we should have been warned ahead of time.) All in all, this was my favorite area of Italy and I hope to return and I would stay again at the L'Orto degli Angeli.
May 24th, 2003, 02:00 AM

Another central location in Umbria but less known is Bettona, where we stayed at the Relais de la Corte di Bettona. A newly renovated hotel with fabulous views of the plain, and accessible to all major sites. We made our reservations through ItalyWithUs.com to get special rates including dinner.
May 27th, 2003, 09:59 AM

I just have to comment re Chico's post, the exact same thing happened to us in Bevagna--went to our car on Saturday morning and discovered it in the midst of a market of some sort--surrounded by very annoyed Italians. We refused to pay the ticket and left it at the hotel--they should have warned us since they told us to park there. Otherwise we really liked Bevagna and L'Orto degli Angeli. I would return in a minute--just know to ask about market day next time.
May 27th, 2003, 11:24 AM
DRJ

While I am unfamiliar with L'Orto degli Angeli, my wife and I have visited Bevagna for a week every spring and fall for the past several years. It is a wonderful little town. Nearby, at the top of Spello, is La Bastiglia, a pleasant hotel with a avant garde kitchen and good cellar. For an unforgettable lunch (or dinner) you must try Taverna del Pescatore in Pigge, a "suburb" of Trevi. The outdoor awning covered area adjacent to a little stream, repleat with tiny waterfall, is worth the effort to find it. Watch for a few little signs along the road south of Trevi. Fine food. By the way, Enoteca Piazza Onofri in Bevagna has an admirable cellar and is usually lively in the evening. Ciao e buon viaggio.
Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:13 PM
GAC

Bevagna is truly a little gem of a medieval town, rather unspoiled by tourism and therefore very "authentic". For those who don't want to hassle with parking, there is regular bus service to and from Foligno in only 20 minutes, but unfortunately no buses on Sundays. The bus stops outside of the city walls (eastern side of town), only 100 yards from the city gate. You can reach the hotels on foot. From Foligno, Eurostar trains reach Rome in 90 minutes. From Foligno, you can also reach Gubbio (via Fossato di Vico), Perugia, Assisi, Spello, Montefalco, Trevi, Spoleto, Norcia (via Spoleto), Narni, and Todi (via Terni) by either train or bus, or in some cases by a combination.

For bus schedules between Foligno and Bevagna, see: www.spoletina.it