Better way to get Brit heritage pass?

Jun 25th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Ivy
Original Poster

Better way to get Brit heritage pass?

I was going to purchase my british heritage passes at raileurope.com since they are having a sale (7 day pass for the price of 4) but I discovered they charge $15 PER PASS to ship!! That adds $30 for 2 passes! With the sale price, is this still a good deal or is there a better place to get brit heritage passes?? Thanks!
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:15 AM

http://www.travelbritain.org/newhome/discounts/gbhp.htm

This link states that the same discount is also available from britrail.net and ticketsto.com, so it might be worthwhile to compare what those two sites charge for shipping.

It's also sold at lots of other sites, which you can find by typing "British heritage pass" into a search engine such as google.com. http://www.britishtravel.com/greatbritpass.htm
http://www.railfrance.com/britishheritage.htm
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:40 PM

It has to be cheaper to buy it at the first "British Heritage site" you visit. If you're staying in London you will hardly need it, if at all. I used one for 3 weeks starting outside London and just broke even. Definitely look up the British Heritage site and determine what you will visit and calculate from there.
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:04 PM

That is incorrect about the GBHP being cheaper in the UK. The £ and $ prices are set months ahead of time and when they were set last year the dollar was much higher against the £. So Americans will reap a big discount if they buy it from home. In fact it would be cheaper even w/o the current sale

Most agents I know charge $10 shipping (still too much) -- but if you buy it through a travel agent there is sometimes no charge.

An advantage to getting it ahead of time is the wonderful catalog that comes w/ it - it really helps you get your money's worth and is a good itinerary planner since it lists the open days/hours of all 600+ sites.

If you can get it with even a $10 shipping charge it would be worth it to pre-buy. $15 is just too much - I would be reluctant to pay that much too. just the principle . . . .
Jun 26th, 2003, 06:08 AM

We've been buying the GBHP for ages and last year when we went was the first time Red Seal Tours in Toronto tried to charge us $40 to deliver. Like you, I refused to pay that.

We were told we could buy the pass at Heathrow, but when we got there the information/BTA people said we'd have to get it in London. As we hadn't planned on going into London at the beginning of our trip I found in my notes that you can buy them at some of the Service areas on the M roads, including Clacket Lane on the M25. Fortunately, we could.

I wasn't aware that you could buy them at the properties, that must be a fairly new thing. That would certainly make things easier, although I've always liked to have their gazateer ahead of time to help plan our trip. I've never noticed them on sale at the properties, but then in previous years you always had to purchase before you left.

Like you, I think the extra shipping charges are outrageous and sent a note saying that to the BTA. Their response was, basically, that it wasn't their concern. It was up to Red Seal Tours.

Hope you have a great trip and, if you are like us, you'll find the passes unbeatable.
Jun 26th, 2003, 08:21 AM
Ivy
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - just to follow-up I got back on the raileurope site and entered everything again and this time it only charged me $15 for BOTH passes so it only added $15, not $30. I figured that isn't so bad so I booked it. Grand total of $85 USD for 2 seven day passes delivered to me with the brochure. Not too bad huh? Thanks for all the input, we leave for the trip in September and I am so excited already!!
Jun 26th, 2003, 01:21 PM

That's great info. You will love the catalog - It will really get you thinking about your itinerary.