BETTER RESTAURANTS IN LONDON

Oct 24th, 2000, 11:36 AM
JUDY KLEIN

BETTER RESTAURANTS IN LONDON

WE HAVE BEEN TO LONDON MANY TIMES AND WAS LAST THERE 2 YEAS AGO. ANY SPECIAL BETTER RESTAURANTS YOU CAN SUGGEST. WE ARE GOING TO WATERSIDE FOR LUNCH. NEED SOME NEW AND SPECIAL DINNER . MANY THANKS

Oct 24th, 2000, 11:48 AM
Patrick

We really like Bank, especially now that the original buzz has worn off and they seem to have refined the service problems they orinally had. Be prepared for lots of foodie yuppies. Both Indigo and Axis are wonderful in my opinion, both at #1 Aldwych. For classic dining it's still hard to beat the wonderfully old fashioned Rules or the upstairs dining room at The Savoy. We haven't been to City Rhodes -- celebrity chef's Gary Rhodes very successful and popular place in The City. There is a great web site called London's Best Restaurants which reviews and details most of the really good ones. I'll try to find it as I've lost it from my bookmarks. London is certainly a far cry foodwise from the old days!

Oct 24th, 2000, 12:38 PM
peter

As an American living in London, I can assure you that eating out in this city is extortionately expensive. Keeping that in mind here are some of my favorites where I think it is almost worth paying such a high price. Assaggi is exquisite Italian food (not spaghetti and meatballs!) in a quaint and rustic restaurant above a pub in Notting Hill. You MUST book early. Some say Zafferano is the best Italian in the city, but i think Assaggi is better. Mimmo D'Ischia is a great place serving Italian food like you get back in the states. It has photos of celebs adorning the walls. Club Gascon rocks when it comes to Southwestern French food--foie gras and all that stuff. Smiths of Smithfield for a good steak, although nothing like you get back in the states. On the cheaper side Tokyo Diner in Soho does some very good sushi and a mean Japanese curry. Of course you could also try the famous Wagamama noodle house. The Westbourne Pub in Westbourne/Notting Hill does inventive pub lunches and is a pretty cool hangout overall. Hope that is helpful. If I think of anything else i'll write back.

Oct 24th, 2000, 04:09 PM
JUDY KLEIN

THANKS SO MUCH FOR TIPS. WE LIVE IN NEW YORK CITY SO WE ALWAYS LOOK FOR DIFFERENT AND REAL GOOD RESTAURANTS WITH THE COUNTRIES FLAVOR. HOW ABOUT ANY PLACES NEAR THE THESTERS AND AN UNUSUAL SPOT FOR TEA.

Oct 24th, 2000, 07:34 PM
Patrick

The restaurants I listed above are all walking distance of the main theatres with the possible exception of City Rhodes. There have been a lot of posts about tea recently, but I still tout my favorite -- Browns Hotel -- so very English, sitting in chintz sofas in a wonderful rabbit warren of rooms with a great variety of sandwiches, cakes, etc. For other after theatre (or pre, if you prefer) you can walk around Soho and find lots of wonderful trendy places--look for the crowded ones and you'll know they're the best. I also love the super casual Belgo Centraal for mussels, frites, and great Belgian beers and Wagamama as mentioned above.

Oct 25th, 2000, 11:30 AM
liam

Try these restaurants:
Aurora
Moro
The Ivy
Isola
Coast
Mirabelle
Momo
Sugar Club
Spoon+

Oct 25th, 2000, 12:33 PM
Hungry

haggis, black pudding, kippers, kidney pie, spotted dick, partridge......why does British cuisine get such a bad reputation?

Oct 28th, 2000, 07:47 AM
xxxxxx

going to london in november.iam also looking for restaurant suggestions yet all the publications are old and out of date.can anyone suggest new restaurants that are worth a visit.

Oct 28th, 2000, 11:24 AM
Patrick

Bank, Axis, Indigo, and City Rhodes are all less than three or four years old --old enough to work out their flaws and settle down to the business of serving great food with polished service. That's why I first listed them above for the request for "better" restaurants for someone who hadn't been to London for 2 years. Moro as suggested above is another favorite of mine, but for us only for lunch as it is too far from the theatres for evening dining. A lot of hype and good vibes about Sugar Club -- although often regarded as "overpriced".

Oct 28th, 2000, 06:17 PM
janet

Would love to hear more about MIRABELLE.Is it romantic and pretty or stuffy?

Oct 29th, 2000, 10:58 AM
xx

Mirabelle has the same owner as Criterion which I hear is rather good.Others would be Circus(trendy),Prism(good for biz),Aurora is new,located in the Great Eastern Hotel(City location),would love to know what others think of these choices?

Oct 29th, 2000, 11:15 AM
lydia

Janet,
Mirabelle is wonderful. Walking down and into the huge bar area is like walking into a glamourous '50's film-set, the large dining-room is light, elegant and never formal and the food is consistently good and reasonably- priced by London standards - what more can I say?
Judy,
A great place for tea, especially if you're not a first-timer in London, is the Newens/Maids of Honour tea-room just outside Kew Gardens. This is an authentic tea-room where everything is made on the premises and it's all genuine, even though it does attract a fair number of tourists. You can get to it from Central London on the District Line tube to Kew Gardens. As for dinner, I would recommend The Square on Bruton Street, which consistently serves fantastic food with a great winelist and superb service.

Oct 29th, 2000, 02:28 PM
Leslie

Somebody mentioned 192.I'm going to be staying in that area.How about MASH,ZANDER,WOODYS or PHARMACY.Do I need reservations at any of these restaurants?

Oct 30th, 2000, 06:12 AM
luke

leslie-as you noted better does not mean more expensive or ancient.Mirabelle is excellent and I would suggest a visit.Forget Pharmacy,but in Notting Hill you must go to 192,very cool.Look out for Bush Bar and Grill!

Oct 30th, 2000, 03:34 PM
sandra

What new restaurants in London would others suggest?

Nov 1st, 2000, 06:01 AM
trina

wii be in london during december,i would love to hear from those who live in the city on what are the "new" better restaurants to visit thanx

Nov 1st, 2000, 12:58 PM
deena

THE SQUARE

Nov 2nd, 2000, 05:32 AM
billy

St James tavern (pub) just north of Picadilly Circus has good pub food and is quite nice.

Nov 3rd, 2000, 06:10 AM
jean

Don't forget BIBENDUM,BANKor THE IVY.

Nov 3rd, 2000, 05:00 PM
reservations

The Ivy you can forget because it is impossible to get a table.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO