Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bestfares.com News Desk/AutoEurope.com (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bestfares-com-news-desk-autoeurope-com-261695/)

Linda Sep 28th, 2002 01:24 PM

Bestfares.com News Desk/AutoEurope.com

Following a tip I picked up from this forum, I checked bestfares.com and went to the news desk to try to find the fares that are not just for members. What I found was the same offers over and over again and for members only. Based on what I've read here, bestfares doesn't sound worth the $60. How can you tell which fares are for the general public?<BR><BR>Also based on what I've read here, I checked autoeurope.com and found the best quote. Would this be because taxes and fees and September 11 fees and surcharges and requests for my first born haven't already been factored in? Is this also a site for which I have to be a member?<BR><BR>For the record, we're planning a March 2003 trip to Rome, leaving from Boston. As a couple we did Italiatour through Alitalia to Rome last March and now want to bring kids (17-21) for seven nights. We're renting an apartment this time and now I'm after a decent airfare. The Italiatour cost us just under $1200 for airfare and hotel for five nights and I'm basing my thoughts of what's reasonable airfare on that (if that makes sense to you!). We had a wonderful time. We want more, more, more of Roma!

Patrick Sep 28th, 2002 01:34 PM

Can't answer about the airfares, but assuming you're talking about car rental from AutoEurope, you can relax. All their quotes include all the taxes and extras (but not sure if they've added on that first born request recently, LOL). They consistently seem to be the best priced car rentals I can find. Your only decision is whether or not you want the full insurance package (I always do, but that's me). The one time we needed it was when we turned in car with some relatively minor damage to it (yes, our fault). The guy pulled out a stack of papers for us to start filling out although we had a train to catch. He was already informing us that even if our other insurance would cover it, we'd have to pay it right now and our insurance would have to reimburse us. When we reminded him we had AutoEurope's full coverage, there was no problem -- no papers, we were on our way.

Mara Sep 28th, 2002 02:22 PM

Linda - I got my Paris tickets from AutoEurope about 3 weeks ago - at time they were cheaper than AA and Air France. The tickets are on AA and I was able to get frequent flyer credit as well as choose my seat. I both emailed and called them and was satisfied with the service. They did make a mistake and overbill me about $40 but when I checked my cc online and saw it, I called them and it was fixed the next day. Overall I was satisfied with them. That being said if I had waited a couple of weeks I might have got a cheaper fare but darned if you do and darned if you don't. There is no fee for joining AutoEurope! It is a consolidator.

kodi Sep 28th, 2002 06:24 PM

I have always found that Auroeurope have the best rates and have been very pleased with them. You do not have to be a member. I'd recommend them.

Linda Sep 29th, 2002 06:07 AM

Thank you for your responses. It's good to know that AutoEurope treats its customers so well. <BR><BR>

Linda Sep 29th, 2002 12:52 PM

To the top for more expert opinions!

Ann Sep 29th, 2002 01:35 PM

Actually in Italy AutoEurope cars come wit the complete coverage. If you check all the insurance coverage they give you compared to Hertz and Avis (event hough you probably get an Avis car) you'll see what a good deal it is. The insurances are listed at the bottom of the quote page. In other countries you have to buy the extra package. AutoEurope also don't have a deductible. We went through AutoEurope and received a brand new Alfa Romeo.I highly recommend them.

Elsa Sep 29th, 2002 03:16 PM

I probably shouldn't answer, b/c I forget exactly what the problem was since the "incident" happened a few years ago, BUT one quick call to Autoeurope and the problem was fixed with NO hassels.