Search

Best wishes to all our friends in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2020, 05:19 PM
kja
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best wishes to all our friends in Europe

As many of us mourn delayed or cancelled vacations, I'm sure we all also want to reach out to our friends in Europe with our best wishes for their well being during these unusually trying times. I think that message has been evident in many of the coronavirus threads, but thought maybe it was time for a thread just to send our thoughts to those of our community who are based in Europe.

Thinking of you and wishing you well!
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 05:33 PM

Good idea, KJA! I hope all our friends in Europe stay safe and healthy! I am heartbroken I cannot see my daughter and grandchildren in France. I heard today that 50% of the critically ill in France are under 60 years old, which has me very worried about my family there. Wishing everyone good health!!!
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 06:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
KarenWoo, I heard that the cases in Delaware are related to the University so maybe the over 65 thing is just not true. Interesting. Hoping we see it level off in Europe soon.
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 08:28 PM

As others have said. “We are all in it together !”

Stay well! 🍷

Old Mar 16th, 2020, 09:27 PM

Hello! Good wishes to all. Lockdown here in Philadelphia as well, maybe not as stringent as in Europe, but severe enough for me. May we meet at a better time!
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 03:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks and to you guys too.

I shop every 10 days, just been to a supermarket in Yorkshire. Rice/pasta/ tinned tomatoes shelves empty but just about everything else more or less available. Queue to check out 5 people long. ( Not seen 5 for years) 2 is the norm. Old people were being helped to check out faster by people opening the queue for them. Hard to achieve 1.5 metres.

Supermarket is modifying toilet area to maximise hand washing facilities.

Meanwhile all local stores have introduced free home delivery in town.

Old Mar 17th, 2020, 04:04 AM

Thankyou! May all Fodorites and their families friends and countrymen get through this as unscathed as possible, wherever they are.
Just cancelled my trip to the UK for my brother's 75th birthday. Got a full refund from everywhere.
My son's sailing season is in tatters with no bookings until at least July. He could be out of a job by tonight - he has a talk with the ship owner this evening.
Haven't ventured to the shop this week, but we have seven supermarkets in our small town so I should be able to find most things I need somewhere. It's one advantage of being a tourist port!
Considering suspending the registration on the camper. I can't see her being used anytime soon, if at all this year .

Keep safe, keep your distance, and stay healthy.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 04:22 AM

Thanks, kja! VERY weird times here, especially having to fill out this form that explains why we are out and about, and keeping it with us at all times. There is no escaping the creepy, visceral WWII feeling it inspires.

All our upcoming trips are canceled. None of our spring and summer guests are coming.

But at least we have honest authorities who are confronting this terror pragmatically and quickly.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by StCirq
But at least we have honest authorities who are confronting this terror pragmatically and quickly.
I wish our authorities would follow. A total lock down is (IMO) the only way to stop the d*mn thing.

Stay safe, everyone.

Old Mar 17th, 2020, 07:35 AM

Yes, wishing everyone the very best out there. We're in contact with friends and husband's cousins in Italy; we really feel for all of you. And for those whose livelihoods are being affected! Not just in the travel industry but everywhere. This is most certainly a nightmare. We should ALL be in lockdown, but here in the US ... well, never mind.

Stay in, stay healthy, stay strong!
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by cruiseluv
Hello! Good wishes to all. Lockdown here in Philadelphia as well, maybe not as stringent as in Europe, but severe enough for me. May we meet at a better time!
Except for the formality of having a written excuse, the lockdown in the SF Bay Area is just as severe, and violations are subject to fines and/or imprisonment.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 08:55 AM

I contacted our Spanish friends several days ago .
All have expressed feelings close to those StCirq has described.

Old Mar 17th, 2020, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket79

Stay in, stay healthy, stay strong!
That’s the plan! Here in Basel, we’re on mandatory wfh until further notice. Our kitchen is packed with food, no need to go out for at least 10 days. My team is having virtual Hangout Meets every day to catch up; one coworker is leading us in HO Meet yoga sessions at lunchtime. My friends and I are having HO Meets happy hours twice a week.

If you’ve got a cross trainer or treadmill you’ve been using as a coatrack, now is the time to dust it off and get back in the habit of using it regularly. ☺️
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by MyriamC
I wish our authorities would follow. A total lock down is (IMO) the only way to stop the d*mn thing.

Stay safe, everyone.
Agree strongly. I am really frustrated and angry at the lack of compliance in my area with the need for social distancing which, I believe, is our best chance for at least some flattening of the curve.

Wishing and hoping for the best for our friends and relatives in the UK and elsewhere in Europe.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 10:09 AM

Here's to everyone staying healthy! And to everything getting back to normal.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 04:02 PM
kja
Original Poster

It's nice to see that so many Fodorites chimed in to update each other and to send their best wishes.
Continued hopes for the health and safety of all of you!
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck.

The Orange American President told all US governors to find their own ventilators.

UGH! He is just so evil.

Thin 🤑
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 12:20 PM

Sending best wishes to all Fodorites throughout the world. Stay well.
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 09:38 PM

Hello! Well, it seems us in the USA have joined you in this sad and surreal experience. All the best to you , we'll see you again on the other side!
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 03:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just an update. Cinemas, bars, gyms, restaurants and schools all closed.

Schools open for all children of emergency workers on child minding basis with distancing rules. Annual exams cancelled completely.

Supermarkets offering special periods daily for over 70s and also for NHS staff. All private hospital capacity brought into NHS. Exercise at a distance still allowed. Non food shops still open but assuming that will end next week.

Employees and self employed on 80% salary up to a median level. Business loans guaranteed, evictions banned etc etc.

Mother's Day today, normally a family get together time, everyone asked to not visit old people.

Traffic much reduced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -