Best Western Shaftesbury Piccadilly

Jul 17th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Parker

Best Western Shaftesbury Piccadilly

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? I am staying 16 days the end of September. I'm comparing this hotel to the Regent Palace. Looking for cheap, clean, quiet with breakfast. Thanks!

Jul 17th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Kathy

Parker, The Regent Palace is a huge rather worn hotel in Piccadilly Circus area. Rooms are very small, not all have private bath. The Shaftesbury is just up the street, and all rooms have private bath.The rooms at the Shaftesbury are plain, but clean.If I had to choose between the two, I would pick the Shaftesbury hands down. Much quieter hotel. Both hotels are in a good area for sightseeing and the theatre district. Have a wonderful time!

Jul 17th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Parker

Thank you. I used Fodors chat looking for a hotel in Oahu several months ago..and the results?? Fabulous!! Just what I was looking for right on the beach. So...if you or anyone has a better idea where to stay in Piccadilly Circus area I'd truly appreciate the input.

Jul 17th, 2002, 10:24 AM
janis

I posted to your first thread but will repeat my comment:

Why do you want to stay near Piccadilly Circus???? If I read your two questions correctly, you are staying 16 days and want to be near one particular theatre. Every section of central London is easily within reach of the Shaftsbury Ave theatres (and every other theatre area).

Stay in S. Kensington, Bloomsbury, Victoria, or any other nice neighborhood and you will be within a few minutes by tube of any theatre.

You will not be going to that play 16 straight days so don't pick a hotel based on one night out.

Jul 17th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Parker

I understand that I may have made it sound as if I was only concerned about the location being close to theatre....but, not so. My travel partner has been to London several times and says the best place to stay is very central to everthing which is Piccadilly. The hotels she has stayed at in the past are very pricey now. Thanks for the help. Think quiet, clean, in the $130US p/nt range.

Jul 17th, 2002, 01:28 PM
janis

(Both of your threads are getting answers so check both)

To those who know London, "central" means just about anything within the Circle Line. Piccadilly Circus IS very central - but no one will tell you it is the best (or even a good) area to stay,

Anywhere in S. Kensington, Victoria, Bloomsbury, Knightsbridge, etc. will be just as "central" as Piccadilly Circus, be a much better area to stay, AND have a better selection of hotels in all price ranges (except maybe Knightsbridge which tends mor to the up market side)