Best Western Canada vs. Hotel Capo D'Africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like some help on a hotel decision in Rome. I have rooms booked at both the Canada and the Capo D'Africa.It seems the Canada is more centrally located in terms of walking to areas such as Campo Fiori, etc., especially at night. What do some of you think? There aren't other hotels I'm interested in at this point. We're going over the New Year. Thank you!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:45 PM

I may not have the mental map clear in my mind, but I would guess that Capo dÁfrica is closer to places like Piazza Navona. Try mappy.com to get an accurate idea of the walking route, selecting Pedestrian and entering the hotel address and the address of your destination. Try a few destinations with each hotel, and you will get a clear idea.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:54 PM

Via Capo d'Africa is nowhere near the Piazza Navona; it's near the Colosseum.

I would not want to stay in the area where the Canada is located. I suppose it's - barely - walkable to Campo de Fiori, but I can assure you it's not a pleasant walk.

Why have you limited yourself to two hotels that are inconveniently located?
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

I don't know Rome well. I'm not limiting myself I selected the hotels based on really strong reviews on Tripadvisor and guidebooks and at some point one needs to make a decision. Their interiors are very nice and I can afford to stay there. At the risk of creating a negative tone, if I knew Rome I wouldn't ask. Bottom if neither is in a good location in your opinion why? And..Would you have other suggestions that fit into the 150 -190 Euro range as these two hotels do in locations that you think are better with an explanation as to why. I really would apprecaite the help. I also appreciate the suggestion of mappy.com. I have not used that site before.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:39 PM

You have rooms booked in two hotels and you will honour, at most, only one booking.

That's mean.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:55 PM

Hotel Canada is in a rather shabby area near Roma Termini train station. If you are interested in walking to the historical center (the area of the Campo de Fiori, Pantheon and Piazza Navona), it will be a long hike on Via Nazionale, one of the largest and most soulless streets in Rome, which is probably not very populated at night. (I say probably because I've never walked it at night; during the day, it's chiefly a street of not very good shops on the ground floor of largish buildings.)

Via Capo d'Africa is, in my opinion, not walkable to the historical center, unless you want to skirt the Circo Massimo, which, I was told by Romans, is something you do not want to do at night, as it is a drug-dealing scene. But even if you get past Circo Massimo, you're still only about halfway to Campo de Fiori.

I'm sure there are some restaurants around both hotels, but certainly not as many as you would find in the historical center, which is full of people until late at night.

Over New Year's, many hotels in the historical center do charge high-season rates, so it's true you may not get the rates there that you cite for Canada and Capo d'Africa. And the rooms will probably be smaller.

It's a trade-off...
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:38 PM

I believe you can book the very well located Hotel Portoghesi for 190 Euro. This is at the top of via della Scrofa, and central to the Piazza Navona, Piazza di Spagna, Pantheon area. Great streets, very safe, lots of nearby sights and restaurants. I really like this hotel. Great roof top breakfast room. I've stayed other places in the area, but this is my favorite.
www.hotelportoghesiroma.com/
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:10 PM

Hi

What about http://www.banchivecchi115.com or http://tea.hotelinroma.com or http://www.hotelsancarloroma.com.