Best weekend trip to take from Amsterdam

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be between Dublin/Amsterdam for 5 days in may and want to take a weekend trip else where. I have been to london, paris, brugge, berlin, cologne, all of spain, switzerland, stockholm and want to go somewhere I've never been.

I was thinking one of the following but am open to anywhere I've never been:
prague
rome
milan
copenhagen

Thank you for the suggestions.
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 08:43 PM

Wait - you have 5 days to see Dublin AND Amsterdam and you want to throw yet another country into the mix? Or you have an additional two days (after the 5) for another trip?

Prague would be cool. When are you going?
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

I have an additional 3 days. It will be for the first weekend in may.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 08:40 AM

So you have eight days? I assume at least a few of them will be spent traveling. Where are you flying in and out of? I assume you are flying from Dublin to Amsterdam, and you wish to take a train to your next destination and fly back home from there..?

What does your 5 day itinerary look like?

All the cities are so far flung, especially for the short amount of time you have.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Amsterdam will be my hub. I will fly into Ams on apr 30 and fly straight to dublin. I will fly from dublin to amsterdam may 2. I will be in amsterdam may 2-4. Fly out of amsterdam May 4 and fly back to amsterdam 6. I am open to traveling by plane or train.

This will be my 5th time in amsterdam in the last 14 months which is why I would like to go else where.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

what about oslo or vienna if I am able to get direct flights?
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 04:19 PM

I feel exhausted just reading your itinerary!

What about training it around Ireland a bit? Or perhaps Edinburgh? Love Edinburgh, dying to go back.

Otherwise, of the ones you have above, I'd vote for Prague or maybe Milan. (I think a large city like Rome requires a longer, more dedicated trip.)
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 04:25 PM

Berlin would be perfect for 3 days if you can get their easily.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Leslapins - Thank you. Edinburgh sounds like fun. I will be in dublin apr 30-may 2 which I feel is a decent amount of time.

sf7307 - I was in Berlin for 3 days in sept and would prefer to see a new city. Suggestions?
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:36 PM

>>>>> I will fly into Ams on apr 30 and fly straight to dublin. I will fly from dublin to amsterdam may 2. I will be in amsterdam may 2-4. Fly out of amsterdam May 4 and fly back to amsterdam 6.<<<

With all due respect, that's crazy. Why not fly IN to Dublin?
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 09:21 PM

I assume he flys into AMS because of the airline he is using.... And given he travels a lot, perhaps he uses one airline preferentially. When I am flying a lot for work, I do the same thing.

My only advice would be not Copenhagen as, to me, it has a bit of an Amsterdam feel... Perhaps you wold like more diversity... A weekend would seem way to little for Rome.

Prague could be a good option. It is a city I am not terrible fond of, so a weekend is always plenty for me. And if you happen to love it, you can always return. In any event, it is worth seeing once.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Doppio - worldinbetween beat me to it. It is because I fly a lot and use air canada. I just looked up a flight to dublin and I can't get one with air canada - it is through us air. I have never heard anything good about us air. Your suggestion seems to be the best. If anything I can upgrade to first class on points since I can't get a direct flight to amsterdam on ac either.

worldinbetween - it will be to party and have a good time. My dutch clients have said copenhagen is amazing but I have also heard prague is amazing. Thank you for your opinion.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 09:54 PM

Wow... If you want to party and have a good time, and go off the beaten path a bit... Try Bratislava... Until two weeks ago, we lived there. Very charming old town, dirt cheap bear... Prague and Copenhagen both would fill the party requirement well.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 11:02 PM

Ah, ok then. I was confused because you're obviously a seasoned traveler. Makes sense now.

As far as what city, my vote is still for Prague. Good times to be had, no doubt! I have never been to Copenhagen, so can't vouch for it.

Let us know what you end up doing. Certainly you will have fun no matter where you decide to go.

Have you ever been to Dublin? I love that city!
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

worldinbetween - thank you.

Doppio - thank you. I will reply when I get back from the trip. I have never been to dublin. Suggestions on what to see?
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 08:15 AM

internetflyer, if you want to party, head up to:

No. 4 Dame Lane: http://4damelane.ie/ Club

Café en Seine: http://www.cafeenseine.ie/index.php/bar-cafe/ Posh/jazz

Solas - http://www.solasbars.com I love this place! Great food and drinks. Laid back and fun.

The Sugar Club http://www.thesugarclub.com/ Club

Alchemy http://www.alchemyclub.ie/ Great bar/club

Fibber Magees http://www.fibbermagees.ie (if you're more into hard rock music) Bar, live bands, cheap beer!

Of course the best way is to go have a beer at one of the many pubs and make friends with a few locals, and see where they're headed.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 08:18 AM

This is a cool link:

36 hours in Dublin - and it features the bar Solas, which I linked above. Plus a lot of other cool ideas.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/04/22...ours.html?_r=0
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank's a lot Doppio.
Old May 9th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Decided to go to prague and rome. Both have been amazing so far. Booked one way flights to each city. Didn't see everything in Prague due to the time of week but it was still a great place. Rome is amazing as well. Thinking about taking a day trip to the amalfi coast. Thoughts?