Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best way to visit Cinque Terre (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-way-to-visit-cinque-terre-969286/)

playa77 Mar 5th, 2013 11:27 AM

Best way to visit Cinque Terre

We are staying 3 nights in La Spezia in mid october. What is the best way to know all 5 towns, I have to say that our mobolity is kind of limited,we can walk but can't do it the whole day,so have that in mind.
Thank you for your help

nytraveler Mar 5th, 2013 11:30 AM

Then why are you going someplace where hiking is the major activity?

Not sure when ferries run. You should check that out - or trains?

Mimar Mar 5th, 2013 11:37 AM

How are you at climbing up and down hills?

ALadyInLondon Mar 5th, 2013 12:25 PM

You can take the train between the five towns. Each one has its own station, so you can hop from one to the next without having to do much walking. The train also goes to La Spezia Centrale, so you'll be fine getting there and back.

senozkadir Mar 5th, 2013 12:37 PM

We also chose La Spezia as our base and did day trips to CT and Portofino via train and boat.
You can take a boat trip for the best view of CT towns.Here is the link to help you:
http://www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti....o.asp?lang=eng

samoca Mar 5th, 2013 01:47 PM

I stayed in La Spezia in 2009 and also took the train between the various towns. As I recall there are train passes--maybe 2-day and 1-week. This is very easy. The walk between the 2 towns closest to La Spezia is I think called something like the Lover's Walk (?) and is very flat and easy. The other walks are more challenging (I am in my 60s and didn't do them). A busride from La Spezia (about 20 minutes or so?) is the most romantic town I visited in my 6 weeks' in Italy--Portovenere. It is much prettier IMO than the Cinque Terre towns, but it's also on the Bay of Poets, just in a place where the train doesn't go. I was told about it on the train out from Florence (Pisa actually) by a young guy who lived in the area. Don't miss!

bobthenavigator Mar 5th, 2013 03:34 PM

Well, the best way to see the CT is not to stay in La Spezia, which is a rather unattacitve naval port city.
Portovenere or Monterosso would be my chocies.

amer_can Mar 5th, 2013 04:35 PM

Your plans are just fine..The trains run very frequently, stop at all towns and you can hop on then off then on again. There is a shuttle from the station to Corniglia. The rest might be a flight of stairs up or down to the train.(Can't remember) You can see the towns, drink the wine, enjoy the sae views, and have a good time. Hiking is an item for sure but you don't need to do it. We are in our 80s and didn't have a problem and loved every minute.I, personally, have stayed in Levanto (Garden Hotel) and we were off a cruise later coming out from La Spezia. There is a gentle uphill walk to the station in La S. but not a big deal.Depends on where you are staying. You will do just fine. Porto Venere is not one of the towns and the train doesn't go there but there are oter ways to get there..Glad you are planning to see this lovely part of the world.

playa77 Mar 6th, 2013 03:25 AM

Thanks for every reply very kind of you(every single one).I
hope we will enjoy as much as you all did

HappyTrvlr Mar 6th, 2013 06:07 AM

I agree with bobthenavigator. Don't stay in La Spezia rather Portovenere or Monterosso.

amer_can Mar 6th, 2013 08:14 AM

The train doesn't go to/from Portovenere as far as I know. Check that out if you want the train.

samoca Apr 11th, 2013 01:53 PM

It's a half-hour bus ride from center of La Spezia to Portovenere. It's a BEAUTIFUL place. I'm late so maybe you've already booked but it would be much nicer to stay in Portovenere than La Spezia; I agree with Bob. Monterosso IS one of the CT towns. But La Spezia is easy and you can book at the last minute. It worked fine for me. Stayed at a hotel just next to the train station. I liked La Spezia too--it's a real working town, unlike CT and Portovenere. Ate dinner in a funny place down in a cellar. Can't remember the name but the food was great and cheap.

samoca Apr 11th, 2013 01:55 PM

I don't see mentioned here the ferry that goes between the towns. I didn't do it because it cost more, but it might be the best alternative for folks with mobility issues. It was a bit more expensive than the train but not prohibitively so.

amer_can Apr 11th, 2013 04:22 PM

Have a plastic poncho with you because when it rains (and it does) it really comes down. Don't think the boats run that late???Maybe. However if the seas are high, windy or rough they stay in dock. The train is really a nice way to go. La Sp., although lacking some charm, is very conv. for train travel..