Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

best way to travel through Greece islands and fly to Italy from islands?

Notices

Old Jan 7th, 2017, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

My friend and I are planning a trip to Europe starting June 2017. We are planning to visit Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal. In Greece we want to do Athens, Patmos, Santorini; and from Santorini we want to fly to Italy, Naples or Venice. Do you have any suggestions how to go about this? We don't want to waste any days going back to Athens and then to Italy. Is there a way to travel to Naples or Venice from the islands. Unless, if Athens is a cheaper and fastest way to Italy, we would do that. Any suggestions would be appreciative as it is our first trip....and cheaper is always better.

Thanks,
Marina
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 10:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flying is cheap in Greece, (so must be better then?). I'd suggest you arrange to arrive Athens and fly out immediately to an island - Santorini, Naxos etc. as you please. It takes an hour max. to fly to Athens from any island , so why not do Athens at the end and then fly to the Italian city of your choice from there.
You didn't say how long you have?
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 10:31 PM
kja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are envisioning a very ambitious itinerary!

To get some idea of how to get from place to place, try rome2rio.com for preliminary information.

And definitely consult some good guidebooks.

Good luck!
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tommmo, I am flying out Beginning of June and coming back Mid July. Our "for sure" stops are Greece, Italy and Spain. Portugal is on our "if time permits" list. I do want to spend enough time in the three countries.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 01:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe there are direct flights from Santorini to Italy, but not sure which airlines and destinations. Your biggest challenge in Greece will be in getting from Athens to Patmos and then from there to Santorini. Patmos doesn't have an airport, but there are overnight ferries a few times per week from Piraeus.

From Patmos you will probably go by ferry to Kos, then catch the Blue Star ferry that runs 3 times/week to Santorini. As you can see, that's not the easiest Greek Island itinerary, and timing is everything.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 03:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There will be 3 weekly ANE ferries (and may be a Dodecanissos catamaran) from Pytharorio (close to Samos airport) to Patmos. Last year, Hellenic Seaways (FB Nissos Mykonos) went twice weekly from Patmos to Mykonos. Mykonos - Santorini catamarans are daily.
FB Bluestar Patmos goes every Tuesday afternoon from Piraeus (port of Athens) to Patmos (ar at mindight) and then to Kos and Rhodos. It turns back from Patmos every Wendesday at midnight.
FB Superfast 12 leaves Piraeus every Monday, Wendesday and Friday at 7pm, stops at Patmos the day after at 3.15am and continues to Kos (ar 6.35) and Rhodos (ar 10.10).
Way back: Rhodos dp Thursday and Sunday at 17.00 - Patmos at midnight - Piraeus ar following morning at 8.05am.