Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best way to travel from London to Aberdeen (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-way-to-travel-from-london-to-aberdeen-725388/)

McCooper Jul 31st, 2007 06:24 PM

Best way to travel from London to Aberdeen

Hello all,
Planning the next leg of my trip and could use some more of the invaluable help on this board!

I am trying to figure out the best way to get from London to Aberdeen. We have unfortunately eliminated the Caledonia sleeper train as an option (my mom, who never says no to anything, says no to that so must listen!).

Once we get to Aberdeen I will be renting a car to drive to Peterhead and other area locations. However, it seems very ambitious to drive from London to Aberdeen so that seems out.

This leaves flying (I have checked prices and it is cheap and quick, but then there is the hassle of airports etc - I have read past posts) or taking the train (which would take a lot longer, but may allow for some stops at some other interesting sites in England).

I would be very interested in any thoughts about the plane vs. train, and any places that might make good stops (in England) if we take the train.

I am restricting stops to England, because after Aberdeen we will be going to Edinburgh/Glasgow, by train, or by car, not sure which (thoughts on whether to take the train or keep the car to go to Edinburgh also gratefully sought).

Thanks so much, hope that is not too many questions!

alanRow Jul 31st, 2007 10:10 PM

Fly - you've eliminated the sensible option of the sleeper so unless you want to spend a LONG time on a day train it's the only reasonable option.

If you take the train and want "any places that might make good stops (in England)" then you will either have to buy a railpass, top price rail tickets or separate tickets for each leg of the trip.

Good places to stop if you chose that option would be York, Durham, Newcastle & Berwick - but unless you are staying overnight you'll have problems with storing your luggage in Durham & Berwick.

There's also this place called Edinburgh which some people like but you are only interested in England

sheila Jul 31st, 2007 10:17 PM

McCooper. The airport's on the right side of town for Peterhead, there are hire cars on site. Cheapest option is Easyjet from Luton if the times work for you.

If you decide to take the train, make sure the one you're on is run by GNER. It's altogether a more pleasant experience.

caroline_edinburgh Aug 1st, 2007 03:32 AM

I agree, flying is the only sensible oiption IMO. Ditch the car before coming to Edinburgh/Glasgow.

amelie Aug 1st, 2007 04:33 AM

I also agree, fly with Easyjet from Luton. I did that before, and it worked out nicely.

McCooper Aug 1st, 2007 07:26 AM

Thanks all! Flying seems like the only way to go! alanRow, I agree I am eliminating the only sensible option(had it all priced at great berth prices too) but given that my mom ,who is 73 and usually game for anything, has vetoed I have to respect that!
And, I will be going to that place called Edinburgh, and to one called Glasgow too (both after Aberdeen)- wouldn't miss those two for the world!! :) Thanks again for all your help everyone.

alanRow Aug 1st, 2007 08:38 AM

The train passes through Edinburgh so as you are going to see Edinburgh anyway you could break your journey there for a few days rather than returning at a later date

You are also more likely to get cheap fares to Edinburgh rather than Aberdeen

janisj Aug 1st, 2007 11:55 AM

do you have to do things in that order? London > Aberdeen > Edinburgh > Glasgow?

If not, you can fly to Glasgow, after visiting the city take the train to Edinburgh, and then pick up a rental car to travel north to Aberdeen, Peterhead and other places.

McCooper Aug 1st, 2007 01:44 PM

We are flying home out of Edinburgh, so my thought was to go straight to Aberdeen/Peterhead and work our way back.

My grandmother was from Peterhead and spent time in Aberdeen and my mom has never been, so my thought was to leave my mom the flexibility to spend as much time as she wants in that area (Aberdeen/Peterhead and whatever is of interest around there).

We would then work our way back to Edinburgh and spend what we have left there. I expect we will have 2 or 3 days left and if so would use one to take the train to Glasgow for a day trip.

Not sure though whether we would keep the car and drive back to Edinburgh or take a train.

Appreciate any thoughts though if you think there is a better way. Thanks!

alanRow Aug 1st, 2007 01:51 PM

Fly to Aberdeen, hire a car from a local company for a few days, then take the train to Edinburgh. You can do Glasgow easily from Edinburgh

sheila Aug 1st, 2007 02:24 PM

I'm with Alan

janisj Aug 1st, 2007 02:28 PM

I agree - since Aberdeenshire is the main focus of your trip and Edinburgh/Glasgow really just side trips.

Fly up to Aberdeen, rent a car to tour around, drop the car back in Aberdeen and trains for the rest of your trip. . . . .

McCooper Aug 1st, 2007 08:56 PM

Thanks all! That's what I will do. I so appreciate all the great advice.