Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to travel from Barcelona to Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the summer of 2011 our family of 5 (2 adults + 3 kids) will be going on a Med cruise and then heading to Paris for a few days. We will be just off a cruise so lots of luggage... trainhotel has no room for extra luggage we hear? We could fly. Or, we could rent a car and take a 2-3 day drive touring the area? Any suggestions?
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 09:26 PM
rex

This is based on experience that is over a decade old now, but I will offer it for your consideration (not necessarily your cheapest option or best use of time, but I remember it fondly - - I was going the reverse direction for the flight).

Rent a car, and drive to Seu d'Urgell... truly cool and medieval. Consider Montserrat along the way also (I can't vouch for Montserrat personally; I didn't go there). After a night in Seu D'Urgell, drive up into the Pyrenees into Andorra (why? well, partly just to say you've been there, but it's worth a few hours in the old town). Then take the roller coaster of a road back down the Pyrenees (I loved it as a solo driver, the back seat might not be as fun) - - and return the car in Perpignan (I think you can return a Spanish car there without a drop charge, but not sure).

From Perpignan, there are (or once were) cheap-ish flights to Paris. Still, no air carrier will carry "lots of luggage" cheaply any more. Surely you can shlep "lots of luggage" via train at a lower cost.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 09:23 AM

We made this trip in October. Here's how:

Train from Barcelona (Estacio de Franca) to Perpignan, France. Why? Saved us (couple) more than $200 compared to renting a car in Barcelona and dropping it in Paris. Picked up rental car at Perpignan train station (Hertz, reserved online from U.S. Office is a short walk from the station.)

From there, we drove to Orange and stayed two nights, spending one day to see Pont du Gard, Roussillon and other sights. (We stopped to see Arles on the way to Orange.)

Next, two nights in Burgundy; again one day of local touring. Then on to Paris.

You may want to get there faster or slower, but this arrangement meant no more than 4 hours driving on any day, which was very comfortable (even more important with kids). It was well worth the time spent to see so much of the French countryside, villages etc.

One caution: be sure to reserve a large enough car. We took a mid-size (Renault Laguna) in Italy for five of us and we didn't fit.

BTW, if you are staying in Paris more than 3 days, an apartment will be much more comfortable and affordable than hotel rooms. Plus you really get to share the experience and be in a neighborhood of your choice.

Ron
www.likelivingthere.com
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 10:05 AM

Ryan air would be the cheapest option.
But they will make a killing in your luggage, above 15 kg.
But may be that will still be cheaper.
Check it out.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 08:17 AM

Another question: When looking up Ryan air flights, the Barcelona airport was designated as Girona or Reus and not the BAR as I had previously been working with. Also, where is BVA (Paris Beauvais)? And how difficult would that airport be to get into Paris proper?
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 08:28 AM

I would not fly Ryan Air if you can help it. The last time I flew them, I saw a lady charged 250 euros for her overweight bag (it was large, but not THAT large). Plus they always seem to fly out of airports that are miles outside of your target city.

I flew into "Barcelona" on Ryan Air... Girona is miles away from Barcelona. By the time you factor in the costs of extra luggage fees and transportation, you probably won't have saved any money.

(Btw, weren't they the ones who considered charging people for the restroom on their planes?)
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 08:51 AM

I am just really looking at getting from Barcelona to Paris by the quickest, most comfortable and safest means. I've ruled out the train(s)as they seem to involve transfers and time, but can't seem to find an affordable air flight.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

I agree. Train hotels seem to limit extra baggage, too.

I heard something about direct flights opening up soon between Barcelona and Paris by a major airline. Later this year, maybe? does anyone know about this?
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 07:21 PM

Try Vueling air. They fly direct from BAR to CDG. That luggage is going to cost you,though.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 08:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Cut back on the luggage a bit - just because you are on a cruise doesn't mean you all need to schlepp kitchen sinks . . .

If you have a reasonable amount of luggage you can fly any airline. If you have a lot, any of the budget carriers will cost a TON. Your overweight charges could run to hundreds of $$ each.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 12:46 AM

I'd think about this as a plan ................

* Train to Perpignan to rent car

* Drive to somewhere between Nimes and Montpellier to visit that area (Ambrussum, Sommieres, Aigues Mortes, Arles, Camargue, St Remy, Pont du Gard, Uzes, etc ...... choice of several !)

*Drive on A750 / A75 / A71 north of Montpellier through the Cevennes, over the Millau bridge, over Massif Central and continue to Orleans. Stay Around Orleans for a few days and visit Loire valley chateaux

*Leave car at Vendome and take TGV to Paris

Peter
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:05 AM

Or you could take the train to Perpignan, rent the car for a couple of days, then take the TGV from Avignon, less than 3 hours to Paris.