Best way to tour Stonehenge

Feb 16th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Chris

Best way to tour Stonehenge

I have investigated taking a tour bus from London to see Stonehenge. Is there a good way to do it on my own since I hate being bound by tour schedules?

Feb 16th, 2001, 01:26 PM
cindy

Take the train from London to Salisbury. I don't remember the station, but it should not be hard to figure out. YOu'll find info at the train station in Salisbury for guided tours. I took a Guide Friday tour and it was very informative. I recall the tours left on a regular basis.

Feb 16th, 2001, 02:43 PM
Marilyn

Chris, I agree with Cindy. Take the train from London to Salsibury, and then catch a bus to Stonehenge. If I remember the buses leave every 40min or so. You are then free to stay and wander about as long as you would like.

Feb 16th, 2001, 03:05 PM
xxx

Frankly, it doesn't require much time to "tour" Stonehenge, so I wouldn't worry about being bound by tour schedules. The Salisbury Catherdral is worthy of a visit if you do take the train.

Feb 16th, 2001, 03:46 PM
carol

We rented a car and went to Stonehenge and onto Bath. There is a taped tour to do at Stonehenge so it is easy. Bath is nearby too and it was a real highlight.
Also nearby is the Cheddar Gorge and caves. If you want to spend a night in Bath you could do it all. there are great little b&B's in Bath.