Best way to spend the day in Salzburg?

Sep 14th, 2003, 08:11 AM
abp
Original Poster

Best way to spend the day in Salzburg?

We will be spending a day in Salzburg. I don't want to go but my husband is set on seeing Salzburg and isn't sure what he wants to see but "I have to see Salzburg" We are leaving Zell am See and will drive in the morning to Salzurg and will spend the day before we go to Munich to spend two night. Restaurant ideas? Rent a bike for the day? We will be there in October.
Sep 14th, 2003, 09:33 AM

I have been to Salzburg and it is REALLY a little jewel of a town! You can spend the day by walking in the Old Part of the City, which is right at the foot of the high hill on top of which there is the famous Festung. I advise to visit the Festung because you can have a beautiful view on the whole city. Just stroll leisurely along Getreidegasse, the main shopping street packed of beautiful shops. One is dedicated totally to decorated eggs (yes!). Thousands of eggs decorated in the most beautiful way. The shop is always packed because it is so particular! There is another shop which sells christmas stuff all year round. Near Mozart House (which you can visit) there are lovely passages with lovely shops that sell pomandiers oranges smelling of cloves and cinnamon. And then there are the Maribell Gardens, the Churches. Walking across the river you can go on the other side of the city, near the Kapuzinerberg and have a view of the Old town from the other side. In my opinion just walking around the Old city centre will make you spend a beautiful day in Salzburg.
Sep 14th, 2003, 10:05 AM

I agree with the above poster. Salzburg is definitely worth a daytrip. Make sure to visit Mirabell Gardens & Palace (the 'angel staircase' that leads to the wedding hall is beautiful!).
We had a lovely lunch at La Stella, a small Italian trattoria that is part of the Sternbräu Gastronomie Welt. It's in Getreidegasse, close to the Rathaus and the house of birth of Mozart.
Sep 14th, 2003, 12:35 PM

We spent 2 nights in Salzburg and enjoyed it completely. If you are there at night the restaurant at the Wolf-Dietrich is excellent. Walk around the old town, go to the castle...peek in the churches...it is a very cute and charming city.
Sep 14th, 2003, 12:55 PM
wendygroover

You could also visit the Mozart museum/home in town. It was fascinating! We saw a concert at the Mirabel Gardens one night in the same music hall that Mozart performed in and we cried! It is definitely worth seeing Salzburg!

Sep 14th, 2003, 05:39 PM

Salzburg is a wonderful town - go to the Fortress, have lunch there (wonderful view), walk the old city. You'll love it.
Sep 15th, 2003, 05:00 AM
abp
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice and tips!
Sep 17th, 2003, 10:32 AM
JN

As for restaurants--you might enjoy the Cafe Glockenspiel for lunch--right on Mozartplatz. Great food and deserts, relatively expensive, good people viewing if it's warm and the upstairs porch seating area is open.

For dinner, you might consider the Stiftskeller St Peter (oldest restaurant in European recorded history--938 AD or thereabouts) for the meal and Mozart concert (great food, good music), the restaurant w/o concert, or for fun, the Augustiner monastery beer garten away from the Altstadt or the Stiegel Braurei at the foot of the FestungSalzburg. The Festung also has a dinner-concert combo, with the meal served in a room with an incredible view over the city. The food, though, is not nearly as good as Skiftskeller St. Peter.

The Blaue Gans hotel also has wonderful food. If the weather is nice, their outdoor eating area is nice--view of the Archbishop's horse bathing pools.

Due visit the main cathedral (Der Dom)--beautiful inside.

You will not regret visiting Salzburg. It's truly one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.
Sep 17th, 2003, 11:20 AM

Re: restaurants in Salzburg.
Another vote for the restaurant connected to the Hotel-Residenz Wolf Dietrich. I think it's called the Aarlich. The cooks are devoted to fresh regional produce (including locally raised meat) cooked in healthful and imaginative ways. Easily the best meal I had in Salzburg and it was not outrageous in cost. I still remember the little potato croquettes, rolled in chopped nuts before frying - crispy on the outside and gooey with cheese on the inside----wish I was going for dinner tonight!
Sep 17th, 2003, 11:39 AM

We spent 2 nights in Salzburg a few years back and loved it. For one day,just spend it roaming around the old city and the Maribel Gardens. On our 2nd day, we gave in an took a sound of music tour and loved it! Cheesy yes, but was very fun and saw things we wouldn't have since we didn't have a car.
Sep 17th, 2003, 03:22 PM

Salzburg is perfect for a day trip! It is very charming, but if it doesn't suit you, just sit on a terrace and drink beer and people watch!
Sep 18th, 2003, 10:49 AM

No one should miss Salzburg! The view from Hohensalzburg Fortress (the same thing as the "castle" ,"Festung", etc.) is awesome. Mirabell Gardens, the Residenz, the Dom, etc., are all good suggestions as well as just strolling down Getriedegasse and surrounding streets.

Here's a good website in English for everything you need to know about Salzburg:

http://www2.salzburg.info/