Best way to send money to Prague?

Dec 13th, 2003, 02:44 PM
djl
Original Poster

Best way to send money to Prague?

We are going to Prague and need to pay for our apartment in Prague with Euros. I don't want want to carry that much money with me. Whats the best way to either send money to Prague and change to Euros?
Thanks,
DJL
Dec 13th, 2003, 03:54 PM

You could do it through Western Union - www.westernunion.com.
or a major bank could issue an international money order which you could mail to the receipent.
I hope you know or trust the apartments owners as you will not have any recourse in case when something goes wrong. Using a credit card gives you some protection unlike paying cash.
Dec 13th, 2003, 06:03 PM

I have simply used the USPS Global Priority Mail service if you are in the US (you might say as that could make a difference). This is very cheap, about US$5 to send a small envelope inside a "mailer" cardboard envelope. I sent a rental apt. security deposit to Paris that way and it got there within a week.

I had a cashier's check to send which the company I was dealing with accepted in USD after figuring out their exchange rate. Since the company you are dealing with wants euro, you'd have to figure out the best way to get a check in euro. Some firms will take travelers' checks in euro, which may not be a bad idea for a relatively small amount. Otherwise, you may have to get a global exchange company to write a check in euro (I know Travelex does this but their fees are fairly stiff to me--not too bad for a large amount, but a hefty add-on for a smaller amount). Maybe that international money order think AAFF mentions would work--I don't know what that is and when I did have to have a cashier's check in euro for another purpose, I bought it at Travelex.
Dec 13th, 2003, 06:12 PM
ira

Hi,

Why does your apartment owner want payment in Euro? The Czech republic is not in the Euro zone. They use the koruna.
Dec 13th, 2003, 07:57 PM

Yeah, why does your landlord want payment in euros when his currency is korunas? You may be paying more than you need to through some sort of scheme. I would ask the landlord how many korunas he wants and contact Ruesch International for a draft in that amount in korunas and send it to him. It will cost you about $10 for a draft in the Czech currency to send a draft. You can also send a wire transfer for $15 with Ruesch International. This requirement for payment in euros has me worried, though. I'd check out the reason for that before I paid anything.
Dec 14th, 2003, 04:34 AM

I wouldn't be too suspicious about the Euro request. A lot of property in Prague is own by Italian and German companies/people who will find it more cost effective to pay a Cheque into a foreign Euro account. However, if the guy wants cash then I would get suspicious.

Jason
www.jasoncholt.com/prague
Dec 14th, 2003, 05:53 AM
ira

jasoncholt wrote
>...if the guy wants cash then I would get suspicious.<

Would you mind explaining why? I have dealt with many small hotels that considered charge cards too expensive. They asked for payment upon leaving and gave me a receipt.

>A lot of property in Prague is own by Italian and German companies/people who will find it more cost effective to pay a Cheque into a foreign Euro account.<

I'm also wondering about this. It's as if a motel in the US asked for payment in rupees because it is owned by an Indian firm.
Dec 16th, 2003, 06:51 PM

When I rented three different short-term apartments in Prague, the American owner wanted cash (in crowns). I also paid by credit card, but to a larger company. If the owner wants Euros, he/she is most likely a German, etc., who is trying to save conversion fees. Just ask them why they want payment in Euros, and make sure the conversion is accurate. Most owners give a discount for cash payment, anyway.

By the way, I usually put a down payment on my credit card, and then pay the balance in cash when I get there. Or, just reserve the place with the credit card, and pay the whole thing in cash, which I either suck out of
an ATM, or change in travelers checks.