Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best way to see National Archeological Museum, Athens? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-way-to-see-national-archeological-museum-athens-693559/)

Vacationer1 Apr 3rd, 2007 06:04 AM

Best way to see National Archeological Museum, Athens?

Do you know if they offer English guided tours? Any recommendations on how to tour it with teenagers?

dutyfree Apr 3rd, 2007 07:48 AM

We were in Athens last week and went to the Arch. Museum while there. We took the metro from our hotel and walked about two blocks down and its on your left. We actually had a delightful lunch under the umbrellas in front of the musuem that was reasonable and enjoyed the sun and people watching.One thing before you leave for Greece-
be sure and get your kids an international student ID and you can save money on not only this admission but many others throughout Athens and Greece.
Personally, even with a history degree myself the museum is interesting but not needing a guide-we did not see any advertised while buying our tickets. We took the Eyewitness Guide along and copied Rick Steve's tour of the museum and it was sufficient for both myself and my 22 year old daughter. I would hit the highlights such as the "Mask",Poseidon,etc. but you can do a self guided tour through the rest of the statues and clay pots.There were quite a few student groups there of all ages and most of them looked pretty bored.Or as my daughter who is into history said "how many clay pots do you want to look at?" I would plan a couple hours there but just walk around and enjoy.

Vacationer1 Apr 3rd, 2007 03:13 PM

How do you get a Student International Card if you are in the US?

kybourbon Apr 3rd, 2007 03:30 PM

www.isic.org

repete Apr 3rd, 2007 07:45 PM

They have some fabulous docents that will provide a lot of things -- surprise -- you won't hear from Rick Steves. Hard to believe, I know.

If the place isn't crowded you can get a docent and tell him/her about how much time you want to spend and they'll adjust the tour to your needs. Some of the younger ones seemed to connect well with teens. I actually spent more time the second time there, then my first, but that was the history major coming through.

I think the NAM is a great place to go early in your trip to Greece because it sets up so much of the other things you'll see.

tom_h Apr 3rd, 2007 08:01 PM

As an aside -- I know Vacationer1 specified "guided tours" -- the Michelin Green Guide provides a very nice, succint walking summary of the Museum.

Vacationer1 Apr 3rd, 2007 09:59 PM

So just to clarify, what I meant by a "guided tour" is where someone would tell us what is in the museum vs. reading about it. Repete, How do you get a docent to guide you through the museum?

repete Apr 4th, 2007 03:27 AM

There was a desk not long after you enter. If I recall, it was somewhere off to the right side of the entry area.

NikolettaG Apr 4th, 2007 05:45 AM

I'm probably being REALLY stupid, but ... DOCENT??? I've never heard that! - It's fairly clear from the posts what it means, but where does it come from? is it an American word? Personally, I wouldn't dismiss the idea of 'reading about it'. Checking out what you're interested in beforehand helps to make the experience more memorable, and it also means that you'll spend your time more effectively, as you can't see everything in one visit.

dutyfree Apr 4th, 2007 06:19 AM

When we were there we could not even get a map layout to the museum! There was not any desks with "docents" only guards at each doorway to check your tickets and what you were bringing in.The only reason why I suggested using Eyewitness and copying Rick's guide as to what to see in the museum was it was easy,IN ENGLISH and pointed out the main things to see. (As someone who taught junior/senior high history-some docents give WAY too much info for that age grouping and virtually turn everyone off.)Teenagers do not need to hear 5 paragraphs about something that could be said in a few sentences nor do they care.As in everything, I have had great guides and really bad ones.....Ephesus comes to mind.

dutyfree Apr 4th, 2007 06:21 AM

Sorry did not check what I wrote before sending-"should have said there were not any docents".

repete Apr 4th, 2007 08:20 AM

Docents, I believe, are sponsored there by "Society of the Friends of the National Museum."

On the times I was there, they had a decent map in English where you paid your admission. I believe they also have a variety of English guides in the museum store.

This number ought to connect you to the docent program: (+30) 210-8217724, ext. 122

Miss_Maple Apr 8th, 2007 12:31 PM

There is a paperback book called: Art for Travellers - Greece by Bill and Lorna Hannan published 2006. This book gives suggested touring schemes to all the major Greek sites and musuems (includes Delphi,Olympia,Santorini and Crete) . This is more detailed than the Rick Steves book -- has some good illustrations and photos. Authors suggest you make 2 separate visit to the NAM - Athens as there is too much to see and absorb in one visit. The advantage of a book is that you can refer to later when your home which will enhance your enjoyment of the museum even more. Many times, when touring with an docent -- I don't hear and can't remember all what they said. I am going myself in a few weeks and will be taking this book along.