Best way to phone US from Italy?

Jul 27th, 2000, 07:48 AM
Sheryl

Best way to phone US from Italy?

We leave next week for Italy and would like to know what is the most economical way to phone the states from there. Is it best to use a phone card from here?

Jul 27th, 2000, 01:18 PM
pam

I don't know about most economical, but here's what I did: before leaving US, get the Italian toll-free number to access a US operator. Then, at a pay phone, put in your 100 or 200 lire coin, dial the Italian number. When you get connected, make a credit card call or collect call or whatever. It's very easy. My son called his dad and it was about $3.00 for 10 minutes, I think.

Jul 27th, 2000, 05:14 PM
Jim

The easiest way is to purchase an Italian phone card, called a "Scheda Telefonica". They come in denominations of L5.000, L10.000 and L15.000. Just put one into a pay phone, dial "00" for international access, then dial the number as thought you were in the USA, ex. 00-1-813-555-1234. It's that simple. The hard part is remembering to retrieve your card once you have completed your call. I normally make three calls to the USA with a L15.000 card, averaging about USD 2.50 for a 10 minute call.

Jul 27th, 2000, 05:49 PM
Laura

Actually, there are these "call-back" things, where you call a number, then hang up, then it automatically calls you back at the number you are at. You type in some number you have prearranged with them, then the # you are calling, and they connect it for you. It is SO much cheaper than the above-mentioned ways. I lived in Italy for a year and used a call-back company called Justice. I don't remember the number now, unfortunately, but you could do a search for it online. Good luck, and happy calling from bella Italia!

Jul 28th, 2000, 06:17 AM
Sheryl

Thanks so much for the info. I'll do some further checking.

Jul 28th, 2000, 09:04 AM
drew

I got my Italy prepaid phone card at www.prepaidcall.net. The hard part is not knowing how much time you will use.

Jul 30th, 2000, 06:35 AM
Patrick

A couple of weeks ago, I dialed my mother in the US directly from the hotel in Switzerland. We spoke for about 20 minutes and the hotel charged me a little less than $2.00 for the call. The week before I dialed directly to the US from my hotel in Italy and spoke for over 30 minutes. The hotel charged me about $4.00. I can't guarantee what all hotels do, but most of the smaller ones in Europe seem to just charge their cost -- often a better rate than you can get any other way.

Jul 30th, 2000, 08:48 AM
Gus

I agree with Jim. I used the Italian phone card. Cheap, and simple to use. You can buy them in most stores,train stations etc. See a Rick Steves guidebook for dirctions of use.