Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best way to incorporate Garmisch/Zugspitze into itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-way-to-incorporate-garmisch-zugspitze-into-itinerary-830995/)

smithgardner Mar 14th, 2010 09:24 PM

Best way to incorporate Garmisch/Zugspitze into itinerary

I want to incorporate some German-Austrian Alps into my trip between Munich and Switzerland/Engadine... is Garmish-Partenkirchen/Zugspitze worth it or should i save my Alpine experience for Switzerland? I have already spent time in the Berner Oberland on a previous trip...FYI... thanks for your advice!

swandav2000 Mar 14th, 2010 09:40 PM

Hi smithgardner,

It's hard to say. I moved to Garmisch-Partenkirchen in Oct 2008 because it's such a lovely place. But. If moving to Switzerland had been easier or affordable, that's where I'd have gone! I do think Switzerland is more special, but that's so subjective; lots of other folks don't agree.

I have a friend who lives in Dresdin -- he always goes to the Engadin for his Alpine fix even though Bavaria is closer.

How much time do you have for your entire trip? Have you heard something or seen photos that are drawing you to GaP?

Good luck with this decision!

s

Cowboy1968 Mar 14th, 2010 10:07 PM

In addition to what swandav wrote: Most people going to GAP also go to see the King Ludwig castles, Ettal monestary, and Wieskirche, Oberammergau, Mittenwald; and not "only" to experience the mountains.

pja1 Mar 15th, 2010 06:07 PM

Really depends on the time you'll have for the Bavarian/Austrian Alps.

smithgardner Mar 15th, 2010 08:03 PM

Thanks for all the advice... I am really looking for some cool summertime hiking and apres-ski in some of europe's great ski resorts (except in the summer... go figure) I wondered whether G-P and Zugspitze were worth a few days or whether I should go ahead to St. Moritz/Engadine and then on to Zermatt/Valais

FACS Mar 16th, 2010 07:23 AM

We went up the Zugspitze last year and Mont Blanc/Chamonix and Engadine region last year. This year I want to go back to Berner Oberland region and Zermat(1st visit). You could skip Zugspitze in my opinion...but I also must say we're not hikers...my thoughts are based entirely on the views.

enzian Mar 16th, 2010 07:38 AM

I don't know about summer "aprres-ski" at Garmisch, but there are some fantastic hikes that are very different from what is available in the Berner Oberland.

two hikes I would particularly recommend are the Höllentalklamm, a hike through a rugged gorge through tunnels, on carved steps, and bridges or engineered walkways over the raging torrent. At the top, continue on th the hut that is a 20-minute walk beyond. It is in the basin below the Zugspitze summit (well below---you don't hike to the zugspitze from here unless you have climbing euqipment). To make a full day hike of it, continue on th epath thward Osterfelderkopf where you can meed the alpspitze cablecar for a ride down to G-P. The scenery on th etraverse is lovely, both green and rocky/barren.

The other hike we love is on the path carved across the face of the Alpspitze. It is considered a Klettersteig, but you don't need equipment or climbing skills. I don't like exposed places but I was fine with this. There is a cable to hold onto on the ledge portion, and some secure steel ladders in place where you need them. At the end of the path you will be at Bernardeinsharte, a saddle with great views. You can easily scramble up to the Alpspitze summit from here.

J62 Mar 16th, 2010 07:39 AM

Garmisch is a great base for wandering in the nearby Alps, on Zugspitze as well as the lower peaks right outside town. I could (and have) spend weeks based there and not get tired (as in bored).

That being said, I don' think there is anything totally unique about the mountains around Garmisch versus Switzerland.

My recommendation would be to pick one base and move around less. It doesn't make sense to divert to Garmisch just to say you've been up the Zugspitze.