Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

best way to get to the American Hotel in Venice???

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 07:29 AM
ANNA

I'm going to Venice next week, and would like to know how to get to the American Hotel

Thank you for your help
anna

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 07:58 AM
Paulo

You don't say if you're going to arrive in Venice by car, train or airplane

Anyway, if you don't mind spending high, a water taxi would take you just in front of the hotel.

In case you're arriving by train and want to save, you may take vaporetto #s 1 or 82 (running from your right to left) and step off at the Accademia landing stage (no way to miss ... you'll have a bridge crossing the Gran Canal just in front of you. With the canal on your left, walk to the end of the small square (Campo della Caritą), make a right on Rio Terrą Antonio Foscarini and take the first or second calle left. This will lead you over a small bridge into Campo San Vio, wheryour hotel's located.

Paulo

PS. vaporetto #82 is faster, because #1 stops in all landing stages on the Grand Canal; this doesn't necessarily mean that you should go the fast route. Unless you're in a hurry to reach your hotel, I'd say that vaporetto #1 is more fun (and larger).

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 08:14 AM
anna

grazie mille per la tua risposta!!!

we will arrive by plane - a water taxi would be nice but I think too expensive.... can we still take vaporetto 1 from the airport??

grazie paulo
saluti
-anna

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 08:30 PM
Judy

Anna, I don't think you can take a vaporetto from the airport. I think you take the Alilaguna, a public water boat, which goes to San Marco, and then take the vaporetto to your hotel. Or you can take the blue(30 min.) bus to the train station, and from there get the vaporetto to your hotel. But I've only read about it, not done it.

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Paulo

As Judy informs, the best way to approach Venice from the airport is by water. The Alilaguna boat (Lit 17,000/pax) will take you to San Marco. From there, you may take either vaporetto #1 or 82. From San Marco, though, it's less important which one you take and you may as well take the first one that shows up ... coming from your left to right.

When you get to San Marco, you may as well buy the 3-day vaporetto pass (Lit 35,000/pax) if you're staying 3 nights.

Paulo