Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to get to POINTE DU RAZ when based in Paris?

Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi All,

After reading glowing trip reports of Pointe du Raz, I wanted to know the smartest way to get there if one is based in Paris. PLEASE HELP! (TGV vs. rental car?)

Besides QUIMPER, what nice towns are nearby? (We're not sure we want to visit Quimper but would consider other atmospheric towns near the Pointe.)

THANKS/MERCI!!

Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

topping!
Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Anyone? Anyone?...
Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:44 AM

We took a train from Paris to Quimper where we picked up a rental car next to the station. A hotel immediately across from the station, Hotel du Commerce, was very French, clean, and just what we needed after that long train ride. We wished, in hindsight, that we had made a reservation because it was just about to close when we staggered off the train and into its doorway.

From there we made a circular drive, Quintin (Hotel du Commerce...again), to St. Malo, staying at a farmhouse (B&B) near Coutances, a mano house at Josselin, and a B&B in country near Ploemel, before returning to Quimper.

We found Quimper to be a perfectly lovely small city; don't miss going through the faience factory there.

Pointe du Raz is a very windswept headland, high above pounding surf. Must have been a graveyard for many, many ships over the years. Countryside reminded us a lot of Cornwall, white-washed cottages, stone walls, and lots of sheep.
Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:53 AM

hope this helps:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...t=0&searchText

there is a little bit on my trip to Brittany last May/June. still have not finished the report! guess I should get cracking. I'm really behind and there are some other trips coming up soon too! and I just got back from one.

I drove, but I had other things I wanted to see in Brittany and Normandy so it was better for me. You may also want to think about Vannes, you could also train to there (LOVELY town, wish I had more time there) and a car ride from there isn't that long at all - even if you toodle along and stop you can do it in well less than a day, or a few hours if you just go straight.

enjoy! you will really like it there, it's beautiful.
Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:55 AM

ps. when are you going? I'm so rarely on this site anymore I didn't see your threads.
Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:56 AM

betty, here's a photo of a hotel I tried to book before it was torn down.
I tried too late. Most of the artists who stayed there got the first reservations. It's an incredible spot to observe the force of nature.

http://www.zusammenaufreisen.de/bret...tel_iroise.php
Mar 22nd, 2005, 12:16 PM

I snagged this right from my report but thought it was worth highlighting for you, if you are going to Paris first:

For those traveling on to Brittany. There is La Maison de Bretagne at 203 Boulevard St. Germain. This is a good place to check out tourist info if you are heading to Brittany from Paris as they seem to cover all aspects of a holiday in Brittany.
Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you Brittany-lovers! Some people have discouraged me from driving there from Paris, because it is such a long trip.

I wonder if it might actually make sense to cut our stay in Paris shorter in order to spend a couple of nights in Britanny...hard to decide...

Warm wishes from NYC.
Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:52 PM

how long is your trip in total? a compromise might be to train to Vannes and go on from there. It really is beautiful.
Mar 23rd, 2005, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks flygirl!!! Only 7 nights in Paris (sigh)!