Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to get to national rail station for 7 day paper travel cards?

Jun 15th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

First off I'd like to thank the many regular fodorites who post here. Your advice to the masses has come in handy as I plan out our upcoming 6 1/2 day visit to London (leaving in just 3 days!) I just hope I can put together a decent trip report upon our return.

My question...we are staying on Rosary Gardens near the Gloucester Rd tube station. Victoria station appears to be the closest national rail station for us to purchase our 7 day paper travel cards. I read in another post a few weeks ago about the construction going on at Victoria station and that it should be avoided but for the life of me I can't find that post now to make sure I read it correctly. So...should Victoria station be avoided or is it not that bad while under construction? Without transportation cards yet in hand, what is the best way to get there? I should add that there are 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 teens, 13 and 15. I'd hate to pay the single fare (£2.40 ea) for tube or bus transport if there is a better option.

Thank you in advance!
Jun 15th, 2013, 08:00 PM

Are you going to use the 2for1's every day you are in London? If not, I'd get Oysters w/ some Pay as You Go ££ loaded and buy one day paper travel cards on the days you'll need them. You can get the Oysters at LHR and use them to get in to town.

But if you are using 2for1's every day (or almost every day) AFAIK the disruption at Victoria is mostly in the tube station - which isn't want you want. You'd go to the train station at ground level - not the tube station downstairs.

How are you getting in to London, the tube or a car service? If the tube, then you'd want Oysters anyway - so you can get them at LHR and use some of the PAYG to travel in from the airport and also to get to Victoria.
Jun 16th, 2013, 01:16 AM

With 6.5 days in London I wouldn't bother messing around with oysters...just go to Victoria once and get your travel cards...don't forget to bring your passport sized photos...or on arrival stop or for your first stop go to another national rail station. Construction is annoying but just head to the train station part of the station. I would send one person to do this task on arrival while everyone else settles in. If you are taking the tube from the airport just have someone go straight there using the same ticket so you don't have to buy another one, then they can use the travel card to get to rosary gardens.

(Sorry janisj I know we always agree haha)
Jun 16th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

We have transportation from LHR arranged with justairports as we did not want to mess with figuring our tube vs rail at the airport when we will likely be jet lagged. We will likely be using the 2-4-1 discounts most days and figure the 7-day rail paper travel cards are the way to go for the adults though I'm not sure whether to get oyster or travel cards for the two teens. We do have the passport size photos for the adults so we are good there.

So Victoria rail station for the travel cards and not to worry about the construction. Got it. There will be a greeter waiting for us at the flat so a stop on the way there won't work. The idea of one of us (i.e. me) getting the cards for all of us is a good one, jamikins. I could simply pay a single ride fare on the tube to victoria, get the cards and then return to the flat using the card just purchased. So I can purchase all 4 cards myself I take it without anyone else having to be present? I ask because here in Denver when i purchase discount bus tickets for the kids, they've gotten to be sticklers about showing their ID cards as eligibility for them.
Thanks!
Jun 16th, 2013, 07:02 AM

Good question, I will walk over to our rail station this afternoon and ask for you...give me a couple hours as we are just at pub
Jun 16th, 2013, 07:07 AM

Hubby just reminded me that our station isn't manned on Sundays so I will ask on my way to work tomorrow and get back to you!
Jun 16th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

To awesome, jamikins. Thanks very much and enjoy your pint!
Jun 16th, 2013, 07:27 AM

My pleasure!
Jun 16th, 2013, 09:02 AM

I put enough caveats in my post that we actually sort of agree

I agreed if they were going to use 2for1's every day to go ahead and get the 7 day travel cards. And the car service negates the need for oysters.
Jun 17th, 2013, 05:55 AM

Hi there - to get discount fares on a 7 day pass for 11-15 year olds you do need photo ID, you need a 11-15 photo Oyster.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

You need to apply for the Oyster 4 weeks before online:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14310....outside_London

So you would need to arrange it and then pick it up using their passports, then go to the National Rail side of the station and use it to get your discounted 7 day travel cards.

The person I spoke with didnt see a problem with them not being there...
Jun 17th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jamikins - Thank you for finding that out for me. I very much appreciate it. The challenge with the kids Oysters then is that I did not know that they need to be ordered online in advance and we leave...tomorrow (Tue, 6/18). We do have passport size photos that I can bring and I'll just ask when we get there what the options available to us for walk-up. Looks like we might all be heading to Victoria then.
Jun 17th, 2013, 09:43 PM

I'd get the full fare paper tickets for the kids as well (for the 2for1's).
Jun 17th, 2013, 11:44 PM

Yup just pay the full fair for the kids...no big deal, other than the small extra amount!
Jun 18th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! We are off to the airport shortly. Everyone is excited!
Jun 29th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

As an update if its of use to anyone in the future...we ended up buying single tickets to Victoria at a cost of 13.20. In hindsight ...should have taken a taxi as it would likely have been less. Live and learn right?
Jun 29th, 2013, 11:17 PM

"should have taken a taxi as it would likely have been less. "

Not remotely
Dec 20th, 2013, 03:21 AM

Hi tarfan24
We will be leaving for London next week and looking at your posts we are going to be doing exactly the same as you when we arrive. Head off to the apartment when we arrive at Heathrow and then I am going to go to Victoria Station to get the 7 day travelcard so we can use it for the 2 for 1. What I wanted to know was we're you able to get the tickets for the whole family by just taking along their ID pics and they not being actually present to collect? Would hate to head off on my own and find out that the whole family needed to come along. Look fwd to hearing from you soon.
Dec 20th, 2013, 09:58 AM

Yes you can.