Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to get Opera/Symphony tickets...?

Old May 8th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all ~ I am going to Prague, Vienna and Budapest in three weeks. Normally, I never reserve anything in advance but since I'm taking Mom on this trip, I want to be sure she doesn't miss out on experiencing opera & music. Can anyone tell me if I should be reserving tickets in advance for the major opera and music venues? I also welcome recommendations on what to see (I've been to Prague, but not Vienna and Budapest) and how to reserve, if I need to do so. I hope it's not too late ~ I'm stunningly disorganized lately!!! Thanks a million!
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Rod

What to see: in each city, start with a 1/2-day sightseeing tour operated by a company with multi-lingual guides (not tape recordings), among which we've had good experience with Cityrama, but there are others. Your hotel usually can arrange.

Booking advance tickets for opera/concerts - doubtless will vary by country. If it were me facing the time constraint, I'd contact my hotel for help. If you've not booked hotels, that should be #1 on your list or face pot-luck on arrival. A reliable travel agency is Vista in Budapest. They have handled in-country and out-of-country arrangements for me in the past -- always with fine results.

Finally, do look over several past "threads" in the respective country listings on this forum. You are going to some great places, and there are a wide range of ideas you will get.
Old May 8th, 2003, 07:05 AM
Rod

I should have noted that Vista's web site is www.vista.hu, and there is an English language choice. They may take a couple of days to reply, so you might want to include all your interests in one message. They are organized into departments, with in-country separate from out-of-the-country, which makes for a bit more knowledge in principal, but it would take time to tie it all together, hence the time to respond.
Old May 8th, 2003, 07:13 AM

Lissa: We are visiting the same cities you are, leaving next Wednesday. I liked the following site for Prague, and did reserve an opera at the National Theatre:

http://www.czechopera.cz/

I have also reserved a time to visit the Schoenbrunn Palace in Vienna to avoid waiting in line. Their site is:

http://www.schoenbrunn.at/eng/schloss/main.html

We have a reservation for an evening of Mozart at the Musikverein:

https://www.musikverein.at/

Obviously there are many other music venues. This site might help you with your plans:

http://info.wien.at/heirat-e.html

I haven't reserved anything in Budapest as yet, but may try to find something before we leave. Try Budapest.com for info.

Hope this helps. We're very much looking forward to our first trip to this part of Europe.

Old May 8th, 2003, 07:47 AM

For Vienna, here is a suggestion. Click on to http://www.nethotels.com/events/english/events.asp, which gives a comprehensive and user-friendly calendar of events. Search under concerts and under opera. For each event there is a web site for the venue, and by clicking on to that you can find information about ordering. You should certainly order in advance for the Staatsoper (except for standing room) and probably the Volksoper as well. As for the major concert halls--the Musikverein and the Konzerthaus--performances by major orchestras and soloists often sell out in advance, expecially the best seats.Good luck.!
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Wow ~ thanks so much everyone! Very good info... Giovanna, those websites are enormously helpful ~ I feel much more on the ball now!
~ Melissa
Old May 8th, 2003, 03:52 PM

giovanna,

it seems as though we will be going to the same places in opposite directions. we will actually be leaving next Friday so you'll be enjoying your trip first!

i had a question for you since you seem to have done more legwork than I. any recommendation on which tour to take at the Schoenbrunn Palace? they seem to have several different options.

Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:03 AM

Don't worry about concerts in Prague: there are scores of concerts all with last minute availability; better to pick and choose when you're there, which is easy to do. You'll be inundated with concert leaflets!
Old May 9th, 2003, 06:46 AM

Gottabee: Wish I could drop a "pearl of wisdom" on the choice of tours at the Schoenbrunn, but actually we chose the short tour because we are going that morning to the Spanish Riding School for rehearsals. Regret missing some of the rooms described in the longer tours, but you do what you can with time restraints. I'm sure any of the tours will be interesting.

Lissa: Glad I could help!
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:39 AM

Topping for Gottabee.