best way to get from tuscany to positano

Jun 11th, 2001, 11:30 AM
farrell ender

best way to get from tuscany to positano

the title says it all. I need to know the best way to get from the tuscany region down to positano. Thanks

Jun 11th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Paulo

Well ... it depends on your notion of "best", season of travel and from where in Tuscany you're taking off.

Anyway, you may leave Florence on the 7:40am (9:30am) Eurostar to Rome, change to the 9:38am (11:38am) IC, arriving in Salerno at 12:22pm (2:17pm). Take a cab to the docks and an hydrofoil (40 minutes), catamaran (70 minutes) or ferry (approx 2 hours) to Positano. There should be ferries leaving Salerno at 2:10pm (3:30pm) to Positano.

If you prefer riding a bus, SITA has a service from Salerno to Amalfi (buses leaving at 12:45pm, 1:20pm, 2:00pm, 2:30pm. 3:00pm, arriving 1:10 hour later) and from Amalfi to Positano (2:30pm, 4:00pm, 4:30pm, arriving 50 minutes later).

Instead of going all the way to Salerno, you may step off the above IC trains in Naples at 11:44am (1:30pm). In the central train station in Naples you look for the appropriate floor and take the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento (departures at 12:11pm, every half hour, trip takes 66 minutes, except for the 1:43pm departure, which takes 50 minutes). In Sorrento you may take the SITA bus to Amalfi (departures at 2:05pm, 3:15pm, 4:25pm, trip taking 40 minutes).

Obs. depending on season ann/or if you're travelling on a Sunday some of the above bus schedules may not apply!

As you may see, the "best" you can make by taking the 7:40am train in Florence is to hit Positano by 3pm ...

If money is no object, the best option is a flight to Naples and a taxi (I doubt you'll be able to bargain it for much under Lit 200,000) thereafter. You may also go by train to Naples and take a taxi from the train station. The taxi, either from the airport or train station, should take about 1:15 hours.

Paulo

Jun 11th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Lisa

I havent looked into this yet, but is it a realistic option to drive from tuscany to positano? (or naples to drop off the car?)

We're going in the fall and havent figured out how to get from tuscany to positano either.

Jun 11th, 2001, 07:30 PM
Paulo

With a car it's "doable" in 5 hours nonstop. In case you don't feel like driving all the way to Positano, it's IMO better to drop it in Sorrento.

Paulo

Jun 11th, 2001, 07:43 PM
Lisa

Thanks Paula
Won't we be lost without a car in Positano? We want to visit towns in the area and have a bit of flexibility. Also, we want to go to Pompeii while in the region.

Jun 11th, 2001, 07:58 PM
Paulo

I for one, wouldn't go without a car ... but here are many people out there that feel it pretty scary to drive down there

Though I've used public transportation (my cousines in Naples and Salerno own nice big boats I understand that things shouldn't be that bad if you don't have a car. By using the SITA bus, hydrofoils/ferries and the Circumvesuviana train you may just about go everywhere. Of course, not always you'll have a bus waiting for you

With a car, you may reach Pompeii from Positano in some 50 minutes. Without it you'd take a 40 minute bus ride into Sorrento and a 30 minute train ride to Pompeii. Allowing some between transportation means adds up to a 1 hour trip ... not too bad.

Paulo

Jun 11th, 2001, 08:01 PM
Paulo

Oops! I meant "never used public transportation ..."
Paulo